No announcement yet.

Guitar ground on wireless guitar rigs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar ground on wireless guitar rigs?

I was wondering well how single coil pickups work with wireless guitar rigs since there is no wired connection from the guitar to the amp to the wall socket.

A friend just got the Xvive U2 wireless rig...

https://www.amazon.com/Xvive-U2-rech.../dp/B01J78IC64

Steve A.
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

I've used a Samson wireless with a Tele and a Strat.
    No issues with the single coils, in fact I think I had less noise pickup with the wireless, than without.
    If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is...
    I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Comment

Does single coil vs humbucking pickups enter the picture? I think your concern is that your shielded cavity isn't grounded. Which means... I dunno. Where's Rick Turner when you need him?
      This may or may not provide some insight:
      https://www.prosoundweb.com/topics/s...ctric_guitars/

I recently bought a 30 watt battery-powered amp. When I plugged in my Squire mini-Strat (set up as an octave mandolin) with el-cheapo stock pickups, I was surprised to hear NO hum with the amp cranked. Then I realized that it made sense; no power supply transformer, no hum.
      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

it looks great, what's your friend has to say about this product ?? his feedback ??

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
          Does single coil vs humbucking pickups enter the picture? I think your concern is that your shielded cavity isn't grounded. Which means... I dunno. Where's Rick Turner when you need him?
          This may or may not provide some insight:
          https://www.prosoundweb.com/topics/s...ctric_guitars/

I recently bought a 30 watt battery-powered amp. When I plugged in my Squire mini-Strat (set up as an octave mandolin) with el-cheapo stock pickups, I was surprised to hear NO hum with the amp cranked. Then I realized that it made sense; no power supply transformer, no hum.
          True.
          I used to make a very successful (sold hundreds) battery powered amplifier, "way back then" (think 40 years ago) with then available Technology (no chipamps yet): AC187/188 germanium power transistors, 9V supply courtesy of 6 "D" cells (does anybody remember them?) who lasted *forever*, a very efficient 6" speaker (which I bought over the counter, I couldnīt reach its efficiency yet) , pull distortion, speaker attenuator to wail out at 3 AM, etc.

Was used by most Argentine Musicians on Tour, for the unbheard of pleasure of playing with Electric instruments while speeding along some road.

I was amazed when once we stopped in the middle of nowhere, only cows, grass and cornfields, and I touched the guitar cable tip to check it was working.
          I thought it was broken: NO HUM AT ALL.
          Tried 3 or 4, "none worked, all shorted" ... until I actually plugged the guitar in and it worked perfectly

Then I realized that nearest power lines were some Transmission lines on huge towers, barely visible miles away.

There *was* some sound, : a click, which I attribute to static electricity built up on Human Body.

..... or maybe Morpheus was right after all

Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by theenggprojects04 View Post
            it looks great, what's your friend has to say about this product ?? his feedback ??
            So far so good. Amazon reviews indicate that it can be incompatible with active pickups and complex wireless PA rigs but for simple setups it seems to work great. (There are only 4 channels to choose from and it uses the 2.4MHZ band rather than 5MHZ.)

It uses a mini-USB port for charging but I could not determine if the receiver or transmitter will work plugged into a portable power pack to get around the 5 hour time limit. (You can buy an extra transmitter for ~$85 but I'd rather not!)

Steve A.
            The Blue Guitar
            www.blueguitar.org
            Some recordings:

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
              The last time Rick visited us was in September 2014 right after I posted how a mutual friend refretted bound necks by cutting through the binding with a fret saw... I was just thinking the other day that I ought to try to invite him back since I talked my friend into getting a fret tang cutter which he really loves and now prefers refretting his guitars with bound necks... It takes a little bit longer to prepare each fret but it saves you more time in dressing the frets.
              Enough on that...

I recently bought a 30 watt battery-powered amp.* When I plugged in my Squire mini-Strat (set up as an octave mandolin) with el-cheapo stock pickups, I was surprised to hear NO hum with the amp cranked. Then I realized that it made sense; no power supply transformer, no hum.
              Well, yes and no... tube amps in particular can create a lot of hum and EMI noise but that is not the only source. Crappy wiring, dimmers and power lines can contribute to the noise.

OFFTOPIC: My brand new all-time favorite guitar amp is the solid state Roland Blues Cube Artist which is so much quieter than my tube amps. It is evidentally a hybrid between analog solid state and digital technology and manages to recreate practically everything I love about tube amps and then takes it a step or two further. 80 real watts in a 36 lb package should make it ideal when my health improves enough to start gigging again.

Steve A.
              The Blue Guitar
              www.blueguitar.org
              Some recordings:

Comment

Getting back to Steve"s OP:
                Theoretically, could something "bad" happen because the shielded cavity isn't tied to ground? If so, is there a simple way to mitigate the problem?
                DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

I mostly use a wireless because it isolates you from the chassis ground and and doesn’t tether me to my pedal board. No shock hazard in sketch clubs. I mostly use an older Nady UHF wireless (a something 10). I rehoused the transmitter and made it so it would accept a standard 1/4” plug. I’ve never noticed a difference in hum or buzz using the wireless or plugging direct with single coils. They pick up whatever is ambient anyway. The other guitarist across from me uses active EMG into an ancient VHF wireless into a processor. Lots of hiss and it never really cleans up because the EMG’s output clips the transmitter and the processor buffer. (But try explaining that to a non technical guitarist). BUT it is less likely to have a line buzz than me if I use single coils. My bass player uses a modern Line 6 digital wireless system. He has passive and active basses. It doesn’t seem to care. The transmitter either has a lot of overhead or just a really attenuated input before the A/D converter. I keep using my old analog UHF Nady because it works and plays nice with my pedals. I never hear any hiss or treble roll off with it. I’ve even used it in studio. It does make quite a racket if I forget to mute it and walk outside on a break with transmitter in my back pocket, lol!

Comment

Working...
                  X