Battlebots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlebots

Not exactly music, but the Battle Bots fighting robots show is back on Discovery channel. I have been watching.

https://battlebots.com/

These are powerful remote control fighting robots. They basically get together and destroy one another.

Battery operated and radio controlled, they have motors and hydraulics and other systems. But they get bashed by their opponent, so they have to be made very sturdy and protected. We worry about a guitar amp being road worthy. These things have to be built like tanks. I think it interesting to consider what goes into these while also involving myself with music electronics.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Is there a battlebot that can carry my gear for me?
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Sure, they work for the airlines, days.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Nice to know, I loved the show, will start watching again.

Some are real nasty .... specially those with power saw rotary blades, which cut the opponent in half.

Those with hydraulic little hammers, not so effective.

This one leaves nothing to chance

Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I think the ones with the heavy spinning impact device are the most effective. They take a 50 pound thing, and sling it into the opponent at 80 miles per hour. Though I did see one yesterday that pinned the opponent into the wall, and sawed his motor in half.

Comment

I just went to *outube and watched some 'best of' type videos from the show. Really great stuff. I'll probably set up my DVR to collect the re-air on Discovery. Thank for the heads up
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

First thing that comes to mind is the old toy, 'rockem sockem robots'.
              But I like how these are not the cliche typical robots made to seem human-like. Rather, almost purely functional more like industrial robots.
              That's something I really appreciated in the movie Interstellar, where the robot TARS is not at all anthropomorphized (except human voice) like we are so used to seeing in sci-fi:

Click image for larger version

Name:	141114_FT_TARSInterstellar.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	849882
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Yeah, Battlebots are very serious machines that are making real effort to destroy the opponent. Rip someone's wheels off and leave them twitching.

Comment

If you would have said "A real effort" I wouldn't be thinking you're some ESL adbot right now.
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

They should do a special edition of the show where outsiders can compete against military tactical robots There are some really scary ones.
                    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I am doing amp repair.

I am doing A amp repair.

All your bot are ours.

Comment

I see that BattleBots is back on tonight.
                        Some powerful machines.
                        T
                        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                        Terry

Comment

How fun this popped back up. We are sitting here watching BattleBots right now.

Comment

Working...
                          X