No announcement yet.

What gives with QC/Design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Verellen? Hadn't heard of that one. I'm going to look them up now. Should be a hoot now that I've seen the floating, solder reliant joints all over their build and the slip shod layout of a pre made curcuit kludged with their own. I'll bet they make a big noise about "Orange Drop caps!" in their propaganda.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

You bet.
      Funny thing is that the fully unshielded 1/2 inch away Class D amp right along the high gain preamp will inject all kinds of ... um .... "interesting" signals into it.
      IŽd LOVE to scope that preamp

As a side note, I bet they will win the "Coldest Shop on Earth" prize, since people is shown sitting at a workbench soldering parts while in thick jackets, stacked sweaters and long sleeve flannel shirts, plus woolen caps.
      IŽd suggest them to carry a couple soldering irons in their pockets just as extra pocket warmers
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

No, they just cryo-treat all their builds for extra specially aligned crystal lattices in the tube and cap micas. And e gotta make sure all the solder atoms align the same way.

Justin
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Here you go

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
            But hey, seriously, once in a while the boutique big money amps make the cheap stuff actually look desirable. Recent verellen I got in . Quite a load of crap that I would guess cost $2000. Quite disgraceful

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49467[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]49468[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]49469[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]49470[/ATTACH]
            outsourced class d power amp with their own rigged preamp

Edit: no idea why the first pic flipped itself upside down. That's the best one
            Out of curiosity, what was used for a power supply in that?
            Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

NickB, it is an outsourced class D power supply made by a brand called ICE

Fahey, yes it seems extremly unstable and oscillating/chirping. If you turn knobs while playing the signal will cut out and then cut back in again, not in a familiar way where there is a hanging-by-a-thread solder connection or dirty pot or something, it seems like some sort of interference or phase cancellation or something. I suggested I should not work on it to try to "right the ship" and the manufacturer should be forced to face their work again and sort it out.

It's like that story where the carpenter is too lazy so he builds a crappy house then has to live in it.
              Last edited by nsubulysses; 06-24-2018, 11:16 PM.

Comment

When you try to play this amp into a dummy load its a big fuzzy sine wave on the screen and then when you get to a certain volume level it starts chirping and cutting in and out.

Is this some sort of problem with class D power supply being played into a dummy load, or is it just because the amp is totally unstable and full of weird noise?

Comment

A class D power supply? Do you mean Class D Power Amp section, or Class D power supply? It sounds like parasitic oscillations to me; I don't think a power "supply" should care what form of load it's plugged into, as its job is to transform voltages and rectify AC into DC.

I'm confused. Is this one of their "hybrid" ones with a tube preamp & SS power amp?

I checked out their website.

Justin
                  "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                  "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                  "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

The ICE boards are a combination of switching power supply and a class D power amp on one board.

At least without further information I see no reason to expect the commercial SMPS/power amp of instability rather than the cobble job preamp mess.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Sorry I mispoke. yes Class D power AMP and the power supply is a switching supply. It has two power amps so it can do 700W each at 4 ohms. Run it stereo 700W per cab or mono bridged up to 1400W at 4 ohms.

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
                        Sorry I mispoke. yes Class D power AMP and the power supply is a switching supply. It has two power amps so it can do 700W each at 4 ohms. Run it stereo 700W per cab or mono bridged up to 1400W at 4 ohms.
                        OMG! (to use the parlance of our times)

Having visited the website myself... The other offerings already fly by the seat of their pants. What the hell is THIS monstrosity you have been charged with? It doesn't appear in the companies offerings. It wouldn't surprise me if the designer himself were using service techs to fix/troubleshoot problems in the designs before marketing. This thing sounds like a kludge. I wouldn't touch it.

JM2C

Comment

I'm guessing it's the Meatsmoke Hybrid head.

It's on the website. You not look very hard! :P

Justin

Comment

Thanks for bringing this up -- I'm flabbergasted by those pictures, especially after hearing buzz about these amps for a few years now.
                            I've used the 700W ICE module, and it's very thoughtfully designed. Seeing the pics, can't blame you for declining the repair.

Comment

Working...
                            X