Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silvertone 1481 speaker recommendation please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvertone 1481 speaker recommendation please.

I've replaced the baffle with 1/2" ply and re-capped.
    New O/T spec'd for a Champ.

This amp is very "Champ like" single 6V6 and 12ax7 original Silvertone tubes.
    Original speaker is toast.

I've had a Weber Sig 8 in it, sounded great, quite loud, but that went back in my SF Vibro Champ.
    Right now I've got an Eminence 820H in it that sounds "ok" but less loud compared to the Weber.
    I could get another Weber, but wondering what else might be suitable.

Play mostly Blues/Classic Rock. Tele and Strat.

All opinions welcome.
    Thanks!
    Attached Files
    If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is...
    I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Hummm... so no-one?

Comment

There aren't that many selections for Champs, so you may have answered your own question... is it reconeable? Could send the original to Weber...

Justin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Well you can open up your options a lot by going to a ten inch speaker. It looks like you have room. What is the required output load? I always thought the Champs ohm secondary a bit odd.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I just looked into it some and it seems that amp wants an 8 ohm speaker BUT there are reports of 4 ohm versions. If your amp wants to see 8 ohms then your choices are almost unlimited in 10" speakers.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

I really like the Warehouse Guitar Speakers G8C American Classic, 8" 20 watt ceramic, made in US, $40. I put one in an old champ recently to preserve the original speaker, and it kills. You can get it in 4 or 8 ohm.

https://wgsusa.com/8-g8c-20-watts
            It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Or buy it through GC or MF and save on the shipping

I used a WGS ET-10 in the last "Champ" I did. Sounds great. This was a mod to el34 tube, upgrade OT and some circuit tweaks. That's a lot of changes, but the speaker was part of the package and the owner calls it his little Dumble. Another "advantage" (depending on how you see it) to going 10" is that you can get a much more efficient speaker.

Comment

Many great ideas here. Thanks!

I must confess to actually liking 8" speakers in a small amp.
                Something about a small amp with an 8 that "kicks a**" and takes no prisoners.

....but... the 10" has appeal too. So many more options in 10's.
                Would be simple to expand the speaker opening and put a 10 in there.
                You can't tell from the pics, but the cap can is really close to the speaker.
                I could offset the speaker to clear it tho.

I've been curious about the WGS speakers, read mostly positive things about them, never heard one in person.
                Maybe this is time to give them a go.

Comment

Originally posted by galaxiex View Post
                  You can't tell from the pics, but the cap can is really close to the speaker.
                  I could offset the speaker to clear it tho.
                  The above amp I mentioned was such a tight fit that the corner of the OT is actually inside the speaker basket. After the initial install I had to rotate and remount the speaker to make it fit. And that's with an offset.

Comment

Ok, so I decided to try the WGS G8C 4 ohm.
                    This amp has a 4 ohm output tx intended for a Champ,
                    since I damaged the original when I installed the speaker jack. (don't ask )

Speaker just came today and so far I'm liking it.
                    Just clears the cap can...

Anyone have a source for the "tolex" that Sears used on these things?
                    (probably wallpaper)

As you can see, someone butchered the back panel on this one before it came to me.
                    Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2469.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	850118

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2470.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	850119

Comment

Working...
                    X