No announcement yet.

Power Transformer wiring help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would for sure leave out the channel switching, reverb and all that stuff. Honestly, a simple 2 knob single ended amp would be fine. But I'm not the one with enough knowledge (obviously,as this thread is a testament to ;-) to know if the champ 12 OT and PT are compatible with other layouts or designs. Then there's the fact that I ordered a repro Musicmaster Bass circuit board as I thought this project would work.Also, a post on the TDPRI forum said that a fender reverb transformer was a direct replacement for the interstage transformer, so I ordered one. Now I feel like a chump ordering parts for components that are incompatible....
    https://soundcloud.com/damalistik/ro...ival-dubplatessigpic

Comment

SO build a CHamp then. The Champ AA764 has bass, treble and volume controls and is a simple circuit. Your 500v might be a bit steep for it, but that can be dealt with. Earlier Champs had just a volume control.

Or build a Princeton. A 5E2 or 5F2 is little more than a Champ with a tone control added.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

So the lack of a center tap is ok in the champ and princeton? All I would need to find the is a repro circuit board.
        But my champ 12 PT doesnt seem to have the correct number of wires to build this:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTDPRI1417983148.990725.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	850024
        Last edited by czech-one-2; 06-29-2018, 05:51 AM.

Comment

We suggested earlier you build or keep the exact same Champ 12 power supply circuit. The problem is it makes 500v. We can deal with that, but it has to be considerd. It does that with a full wave bridge rather than a center tap. It also uses a voltage doubler for the 500v, the straight voltage is half that, and in deed is used for the preamp in the Champ 12. 250v is pretty low for the power tube, so I am not sure just what the best route is, but we could handle it.

I don't mean this unkindly, but if this is getting over your head, then perhaps it is best to replace the power transformer with exactly what you need. Then you won't be saddled with trying to adapt the one model to the other. The output transformer would work fine.

I see on that layout they added a standby switch...to a Champ. That is like high speed tires and aerodynamic fins on a lawn tractor. Not needed.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks Enzo for your replies. I think your right, for a 1st time complete build I probably shouldn't be shoe-horning various components together, its a recipe for failure. But unfortunately I dont have the funds to by a kit. So I will put this idea on the back burner....

Comment

Talking from a knows-not-much perspective, if this is your very first amp build, Id suggest humbly to build something as close as possible to a well used schematic/layout, since debugging a custom build, even a simple one, can be difficult. You don't have to buy a kit, lots of folks on this blog build from pieces parts collected over time.
              The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Czech, if I could suggest something, cost has always been a consideration for me as well. The power and output transformers are about the most expensive part of the amp Instead of saying you want to build amp X, say a champ, suppose you work in reverse and find out what amp that your transformers would work with, and then build that?
                The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Originally posted by mikepukmel View Post
                  Czech, if I could suggest something, cost has always been a consideration for me as well. The power and output transformers are about the most expensive part of the amp Instead of saying you want to build amp X, say a champ, suppose you work in reverse and find out what amp that your transformers would work with, and then build that?
                  Exactly! If I could find out what circuit would work with the champ 12 transformers then I would build an amp! If any body can make a recommendation I'm all ears, cause I have the chassis,transformers, preamp/power tubes [6l6] cabinet,speaker, caps and resistors. I just need a layout diagram to follow though, as my schematic reading is terrible....:-(

Comment

Working...
                  X