No announcement yet.

Original Sovtek 5881 (coin/wafer based)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Sovtek 5881 (coin/wafer based)

Hello kind folk.

I recently purchased a quad of matched 5881, original Sovtek tubes - not branded Sovtek, but say 6n3c-e (in Russian of course). But I am unable to reliably find a datasheet for these particular tubes (the vender does not provide them) that print the maximum voltage allowance for anode and screens. One datasheet I did find said 250V (here), but printed as a side note and I am interpreting it as the voltage used in the test, as an operating parameter.

This is the small wafer or coin based 5881. Can someone clue me in on that? Again, it's more to know for certain rather than to form an uneducated guess based on a google search.

Thank you!!!!
    "'He who first proclaims to have golden ears is the only one in the argument who can truly have golden ears.' The opponent, therefore, must, by the rules, have tin ears, since there can only be one golden-eared person per argument." - Randall Aiken

these tubes are so sturdy you can use them in very high voltage/power amps (Soldano,Marshall) and never complain,i'd say the only thing to note is that max dissipation should be around 23W.
    Military radio stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by alexradium View Post
      these tubes are so sturdy you can use them in very high voltage/power amps (Soldano,Marshall) and never complain,i'd say the only thing to note is that max dissipation should be around 23W.
      Military radio stuff.
      Thank you! This is what I thought - but I couldn't find the evidence via a tube datasheet. In fact the same vendor was selling a set for a Dual Rec of the seemingly same tubes... but the answers I received from them were a bit less than clear - so I decided to turn to the awesome MEF forum.
      "'He who first proclaims to have golden ears is the only one in the argument who can truly have golden ears.' The opponent, therefore, must, by the rules, have tin ears, since there can only be one golden-eared person per argument." - Randall Aiken

Comment

Many have used these tubes in "torture chamber" amps, at voltages well above either spec on that "data sheet." And if you follow the 70% "Rule" for plate dissipation, you end up around 23W, anyway, and many consider these as equal to or better than a 6L6GC. Nobody really knows for sure, so the best can hope for is to have a bunch of people chime in and say "I did such&such and they were fine..." Or, wind the dissipation up & see what they'll take; I'm pretty sure they'll take any voltage you throw at them. Some empirical data from forum members would probably be welcomed.

I also believe these were the ones sold as Sovtek 5881WXT, & that if you buy based on the GUTS and don't worry about the base, you get the sane tube.

Justin
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

That is the only data sheet that was ever available for these tubes.
          I would not hesitate to try them in any circuit that calls for a 6L6GC (or lesser) type. They will survive, but will usually give less power output than an actual 6L6GC.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Thanks, Guys.

I am relieved to get the answers here.

For me, I am not so worried about output... as it is I can't even turn the volume past 9 o'clock, maybe 10 o'clock, before it blows your hat off. In addition, I love upping the volume to get some of that output midrange kicking in... maybe this will be a bonus in that aspect.

However, for me it is function over form, but I do hope they sound as good as they are reportedly tough!

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
            X