This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
    When you specify 20mm you are talking overall length?
    When talking magnet height, you only count the magnet height between the flats.
    That height area is what you are talking about concerning brightness.
    I too agree 1/2 inch is enough between the flats.
    I also never hear you say what the magnet diameter is.
    Most of us prefer using inches, instead of MM, due to all the old published data, and the use of bobbin calculating software.
    So when using data for pickup bobbin cores, use length, width, height between the flats, & flange diameter.
    AC readings are great, but lots of basic hobby winders, use turns, and DCR, because of tools they have available.

T
    ** Hopefully this can be a place for all degree of pickup builders, regardless of the expertise, & technical tools they have available!
    Yes, mags total length is 20 mm . Mag diameter is 5 mm.
    I prefer to use SI units, metric, cause that is what has agreed many decades ago (for ex. USA 1866, but not too much in use). Well I think it is polite to accept the units the writer uses. If you care only turns and DCR, you can easily ignore the other measurements.
    I do inch to mm conversation all the time. Luckily there are many easy to use web calculators.
    https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/...nch-to-mm.html
    Last edited by okabass; 06-28-2018, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by okabass View Post
      Yes, mags total length is 20 mm . Mag diameter is 5 mm. I prefer to use SI units, metric, cause that is what has agreed many decades ago (for ex. USA 1866, but not much in use). Well I think it is polite to accept the units the writer uses. I do inch to mm conversation all the time. Luckily there are many easy to use web calculators.
      https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/...nch-to-mm.html
      Agreed, but if I see MM, I usually don't bother, and move on!
      After all you are the one seeking help, and most here talk in inches, but feel free to do what you like.
      I was just making a suggestion!
      GL with your pickup.
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Agreed, but if I see MM, I usually don't bother, and move on!
        After all you are the one seeking help, and most here talk in inches, but feel free to do what you like.
        I was just making a suggestion!
        GL with your pickup.
        T
        Thanks. One half winded to 4,36 kΩ / 11800 turns.
        https://www.dropbox.com/s/3pwpa87xk9...12010.jpg?dl=0
        8,72 kΩ may be too hot, but we'll see. (or listen)
        Last edited by okabass; 06-28-2018, 06:38 PM.

Comment

PS.
          I compared a split coil, a stack coil and original type single coil on my '51 reissue P bass. To my taste (rock, blues, soul...) the Stack ( S.Duncan clone) was the best, then Single coil and Split coil. What I looked is 1) character (a bit more lo end is good). 2) noisless.
          Split coil type sees to be kind of lame (cancellation?). Single is ok. with most situations. Stack is noisless, and gives very good bass sound. Like a good original single coil, but more good lo end and output.

Comment

Don't quite follow. If I have a broken Strat PU, and I know the DCR. Say it is (or was) 5,6 kΩ/ AWG 42. Then what I'm doing wrong if I wind it to 5,6 kΩ with same type AWG 42?

I can measure PU's inductance, capacitance, magnetic flux density (tesla/gauss), DCR . I have for example an oscilloscope, function generator and this .https://www.amazon.com/Labs-DE-5000-.../dp/B005EMT8PC
            The problem is the ohms per foot varies, especially back when that pickup was originally wound. You are assuming the ohms per foot is equal on the new spool, and it most likely is not. You would need to figure out the original wires ohms per foot, use the original reading to figure out the approximate number of winds, then apply that many winds of the new wire and the final ohms reading of the new wire will be a little different.

Comment

Ok. I say "same type AWG"
              It is always good to be as accurate as possible, but do you think the original -say- 7ender pickup is originally made so accurate. What I've learned they were not.

It is always important to I think the order of magnitude. Variation between different AWG 42 wire can not be very big. Not so big that it is a problem. For example I think a winding tension may cause more variation on wires DCR per meter.

Comment

Variation between different AWG 42 wire can not be very big.
                Really? What about 7% for Min-nom and another 7% for Max-nom? 14% in total. Another 4% for Single or Heavy enamel.

Not so big that it is a problem.
                That's a matter of prospective, I guess...

I think a winding tension may cause more variation on wires DCR per meter.
                You "think" or you "know"?
                Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                Milano, Italy

Comment

The problem is the ohms per foot varies, especially back when that pickup was originally wound. You are assuming the ohms per foot is equal on the new spool, and it most likely is not. You would need to figure out the original wires ohms per foot, use the original reading to figure out the approximate number of winds, then apply that many winds of the new wire and the final ohms reading of the new wire will be a little different.
                  That's why it is always best to wire the reproduction to the same inductance as the original.
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

To Ltkojak

DCR difference?

If 10 to 20 % is good for 7ender then it is good for me.

Apparently you don't think you know. Then tell us.
                    Last edited by okabass; 07-06-2018, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Variation between different AWG 42 wire can not be very big.
                      Today, it is not huge. The 50's and 60's wire, there was a much, much larger tolerance than todays wire. Just the nature of the beast back in those days. It is part of the reason the old pickups were so inconsistent readings wise. Partially the sloppy counters, partially the wide variances in the coil wire. The tolerances were so loose back in those days. some manufacturers that required a tight tolerance would measure samples and remove out of spec wire before it hit the stockroom. A lot of NOS coil wire we find today is NOS because it was ridiculously out of spec. Fender didn't care. They used everything they got.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shine View Post
                        Today, it is not huge. The 50's and 60's wire, there was a much, much larger tolerance than todays wire. Just the nature of the beast back in those days. It is part of the reason the old pickups were so inconsistent readings wise. Partially the sloppy counters, partially the wide variances in the coil wire. The tolerances were so loose back in those days. some manufacturers that required a tight tolerance would measure samples and remove out of spec wire before it hit the stockroom. A lot of NOS coil wire we find today is NOS because it was ridiculously out of spec. Fender didn't care. They used everything they got.
                        Ok. Thanks.

There seems to be a tendency to look some point with a microscope, and at the same time some points with a bare eye. The order of magnitude is good to keep in mind. Usually music-electronics 10 % precision is ok.

That's what is presume with the tolerances at that time.
                        On 7ender amp schematics voltages are ±20 %. Precision resistor was 5 %, normal was 20% carbon comp.. Now normal is 1-2 % metalfilm . One rocket engineer (really) wrote, that in the 50s they had to file the carbon composite resistors to get more precision value.

Comment

If 10 to 20 % is good for 7ender then it is good for me
                          Good luck, then.
                          Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                          Milano, Italy

Comment

Wire size can make a huge difference.
                            If you're not particular, why are you bothering to custom wind?
                            Just buy a Joe Blow pickup.
                            I've said before things that make a big difference.
                            Bobbin height
                            magnet strength and type
                            wire size
                            Wire insulation thickness
                            TPL
                            Turns Count
                            Inductance
                            etc.
                            To name a few.
                            T
                            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                              Good luck, then.
                              Thanks.

Comment

Wire size can make a huge difference.
                                If you're not particular, why are you bothering to custom wind?
                                Just buy a Joe Blow pickup.
                                I've said before things that make a big difference.
                                Bobbin height
                                magnet strength and type
                                wire size
                                Wire insulation thickness
                                TPL
                                Turns Count
                                Inductance
                                etc.
                                To name a few.
                                T
                                Ok.

"Wire size... which makes a huge difference" "Size" means exactly what? Gauge? Diameter?

ps. I'm gettin tired that certain dismissive style some "answer" here. To my original question I get very, very little information. Good advice is if you don't know the matter, you don't 'have' to nitpick something "wise". It seems that excluding some very informative nice members, some are just hair splitting. That's not what I expected to happen on this forum. Sorry. I'm used to give knowledge, and get knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                                X