X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stewmac pickup repair video odd dc resistance reading

Hi All
    I was just looking at Eric Colmann (stewmac) repairing an old strat pickup
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-d-ZuTpk4U and noticed that he wound the pickup to 7500 turns using 42 awg wire and got 6.19 k ohms as a reading. I have been getting 6.2 k ohms with using about 8 - 8.1 k turns using elektrisola 42 awg Formvar. I was just wondering if the high reading he's getting with the lower turns could be caused by wire strecthing ? I wind single coils guiding by hand and usually wind with a fair amount of tension on the wire but don't get such high dc resistance readings. Maybe some other winders could chip in with an opinion. Maybe i'm doing something different or wrong.

Cheers

Andrew

I watch the video today & thought the same thing 7500 turns @ 6.2k seems high not sure how slow the mojo winder is going but i guess it's possible if you do it with a really low tpl fast scatter ...or out of spec wire
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

If he's putting 7500 turns of 42 gauge wire he should be getting somewhere around 5.3 to 5.6K DCR... tops.

ken
      www.angeltone.com

Comment

He's got it clamped in a vise and fresh off the iron heat. Both will give a falsely high reading.

Comment

Originally posted by ReWind View Post
          He's got it clamped in a vise and fresh off the iron heat. Both will give a falsely high reading.
          How could the vise increase DCR?
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Just seen this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi0U-BHB2jI
            & it's a good video if your new to winding , 9300 turns of 41 gauge on a strat bobbin , 5.6k would be impossible for me the way i wind , must be a very efficient wind ,wonder if the cover fit ?.
            Last edited by copperheadroads; 07-07-2018, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
              How could the vise increase DCR?
              Go put a coil in a vise with a meter on it. Crank it down firmly and watch the DCR rise.

Comment

Originally posted by ReWind View Post
                Go put a coil in a vise with a meter on it. Crank it down firmly and watch the DCR rise.
                I did the experiment and varied pressure. There wasn't the slightest change in DCR, not even in the fourth digit. .
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                  I did the experiment and varied pressure. There wasn't the slightest change in DCR, not even in the fourth digit. .
                  I thought the jaws of that of the vise was made of wood not metal .

Comment

I thought the jaws of that of the vise was made of wood not metal .
                    Wood, plastic, rubber, metal doesn't matter for DCR. Steel jaws will increase inductance reading, though.
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I've done it just by coincidence. More than once. Just while doing something like soldering eyelets or repairing a Tele bridge pickup with the forbon lifting off one side. Perhaps it's the wire stretching a bit from compression on the flanges or internal warmth from the pressure?

I'm not the type of guy to go make a video to prove a point I don't really care about, though. I'm not making it up, however.

Were you smushing the coil or just clamping down on the pole pieces? Maybe that's the difference?

Comment

Were you smushing the coil or just clamping down on the pole pieces? Maybe that's the difference?
                        I clamped the flanges.
                        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                        X