Peppermint Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peppermint Linux

Here's screenshots of Peppermint Linux 9, built from Ubuntu XFCE.
    I've customized it a bit.
    It is real fast and snappy.
    And, guess what, it's FREE!
    https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=10236
    Attached Files
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Hello Big tee, Great to see others using linux
    Ive been using linux for about 10 years and hate MS.
    when i started i had a fresh install of linux mint and windows 8 as a dual boot. the windows 8 crashed after 2 days, leaving only to have linux. I was new too it. But never looked back.
    I have used it ever since, Tried them all but mostly stick to ubunto or Mint,
    Use it solely for the business now.
    I do have a laptop with windows 8 on it but hardly ever use it

more people should move over too it , its free and stable,

BBB

Comment

hello guys,
      been using mint for at least 10 years now, tried a lot of other linux distros, most of it pretty cool.
      I wouldn't even think about using ms-win to connect to the net. never used any firewall or any anti-virus software,
      you simply don't need to. even run my cnc-routers that work with galaad, a windows-based software with the help of wine.
      no need for anything else.
      why share all your data with ms, google and all the others, linux is free it's open and it's
      simply fair! move over!!
      chr.

Comment

I started messing with Redhat about 1999, or so.
        It was hard to get all the hardware to work.
        Either sound, video, or modem issues.
        Linux has evolved through the years, but still kept a desktop simplistic approach.
        Before I retired in 2010, I had to stay on MS for work.
        I carried an extra hard drive, or usb drive loaded with linux for my personal computing needs.
        All my house computers are MS free since 2012.
        When I get new laptops, I either swap the hard drive, or wipe the existing hard drive and install Ubuntu.
        I ran Mint, for a couple years, but, now prefer some form of Ubuntu.
        http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/
        So many Ubuntu desktop options to choose from.
        Now days, I prefer Gnome, or XFCE, for the desktop.
        Linux is so fast, and you have so much control of where the OS puts things.
        With MS, you don't know where everything is hidden away?
        Linux is not for everyone, and if you like MS, use what you like.
        Linux has always been great for me, I will keep using it, as long as it's loadable!
        If you are tired of the MS way, by all means give Ubuntu a try.
        IT'S STILL FREE!
        T
        Last edited by big_teee; 10-20-2018, 03:56 PM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

I honestly don't see why anyone would want to use windows, if they knew how simple and easy Linus is
          Vote like your future depends on it.

Comment

I installed this on an old Asus laptop that just barely tops the minimum system requirements. I chose the "minimal" install option, but that setting seems to have been ignored as I ended up with a boatload of apps that I really didn't want. I closed the lid after it did a bunch of updates, and was disappointed to find the mouse pointer missing when I came back a few hours later. I managed to get a terminal window open by clicking the trackpad button blindly, which allowed me to reboot. I closed the lid again and returned to find a dark screen when I opened it again. There was a lot of disk activity going on so I waited in hopes that the display would light up, but it remained dark so I closed the lid briefly and the screen came back after I opened it again, but of course the mouse pointer was missing. I need a lightweight OS for this old machine and I kind of like the looks of this one, so I'm really hoping there are some fixes for these little problems out there waiting to be found.
            -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

Why not try Linux mint 18 or higher. XFCE is a good stripped down version but cinnamon is really nice. Their forums support are great too.
              When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Here's a new one I installed on my multi-boot rig over the weekend.
                It's called Pop! It has the Gnome Desktop, that works well on this computer.
                Pop is just a repackaged Ubuntu 18.10, with the Pop bells and whistles added.
                https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=10342
                Linux is fun!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-10-22 09-27-45.png
Views:	1
Size:	401.6 KB
ID:	851905Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-10-22 09-29-49.png
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	851906Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-10-22 09-41-47.png
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	851907Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-10-22 09-54-42.png
Size:	709.4 KB
ID:	851908
                Last edited by big_teee; 10-22-2018, 02:55 PM.
                Terry

Comment

i'm used to Mac osx,but my macbook is going bad,any Linux distribution similar to OSX as far as finder and general aspect?

Comment

I don't know anything about mac osx.
                    But, I just found this.
                    https://www.maketecheasier.com/best-...for-mac-users/
                    GL,
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by alexradium View Post
                      i'm used to Mac osx,but my macbook is going bad,any Linux distribution similar to OSX as far as finder and general aspect?
                      Before I got this old macbook a few years ago I was running Ubuntu on a PC laptop. I didn't find it difficult at all making the change, although I'll admit I don't do anything terribly complicated. This Mac is also on its way out, and I think I will likely go the PC/Linux route again as it is so much cheaper.

Comment

I've done a lot of distro hopping, and I always come back to some version of Ubuntu.
                        They have a lot of different desktop versions.
                        Which ever version I use, I always install gnome, and xfce.
                        # apt install xfce4
                        # apt install gnome
                        It's easy to do. I use one of the two desktops, that can be picked at bootup.
                        http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/

**Glad to see so many are running linux here.
                        I had no idea!
                        Terry

Comment

Working...
                        X