Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quote for the day

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 912/5
    Given: 941/0
    In alignment wit Jazz's quote,.. I had a customer who made his living as a member of a team building tech businesses. Always as a partner rather than an employee. He was the second person I'd met that did this and my impression was that it's a boom or bust endeavor to the extreme. We got onto the subject of whether money can buy happiness and he said:

"I've been rich and I've been poor. Rich is better."

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "...less ear-friendly but handy for jazz." Leo_Gnardo

"A pedal, any kind, will not make a Guitar player more dangerous than he already is." J M Fahey

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"A shot gun delivers a force that exceeds the operational range of most systems, such as pumpkins." Antigua

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 20/0
    Given: 7/0
    Sure if it was a choice, it not always is in the real world.

might should of said seldom is....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 450/100
    Given: 71/32
    Let me leave you with one more thought, from professor Randy Pausch’s famous “Last Lecture,” which he delivered after being told he had six months to live: “Experience is what you get when you didn’t get what you wanted.” Friends, that’s worth pondering.

nosaj

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Binkie McFartnuggets‏:If we really wanted to know the meaning of life we would have fed Stephen Hawking shrooms a long time ago.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 450/100
    Given: 71/32
    “There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self.” – Ernest Hemingway

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Binkie McFartnuggets‏:If we really wanted to know the meaning of life we would have fed Stephen Hawking shrooms a long time ago.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 493/32
    Given: 463/14
    Saw this in the editorial section of the paper.

"Numerous politicians have seized absolute power and muzzled the press.
    Never in history has the press seized absolute power and muzzled the politicians."
    --DAVID BRINKLEY

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Boss; 10-30-2018 at 09:48 PM. Reason: typo
    "Here I come to save the day!"
    That means that Mighty Mouse is on the way!
    (Philip Scheib / Marshall Barer) - circa 1955

Terry

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 264/4
    Given: 555/11
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    "...we like the beautiful and don't like the ugly; therefore, what we like is beautiful, and what we don't like is ugly—and hence we are glad the beautiful is not ugly, for if it were we would like something we don't like. So having unsettled what beauty is, let us go on." - Charles Ives: Essays Before a Sonata

"Stand up and take your dissonance like a man." - Charles Ives
    Mark, I had to share that on Farkbook. I left your name off it. But, yeah... Kinda provocative.

Justin

"... If an older Boogie and classic Marshall had a (clearly illegitimate) child and you baked it in an oven set to clown shit crazy." - Chuck H. -
    "When receiving a shock I emit a strange loud high pitched girlish squeak." - Alex R -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Banned
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 26/7
    Given: 62/27
    "Numerous politicians have seized absolute power and muzzled the press.
    Never in history has the press seized absolute power and muzzled the politicians."
    --DAVID BRINKLEY

The big problem with this quote is that the politicians are NOT the ones with absolute power. Do you know the date of this quote?

Last edited by Boss; 10-30-2018 at 09:50 PM. Reason: typo

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 887/5
    Given: 0/0
    Prior to Mr Brinkley's death.

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
    Prior to Mr Brinkley's death.
    My brother in law has a picture of the Honeymooners. Signed by the four main cast members (Jackie, Art, Audrey and Joyce). He was showing it to a neighbor one day and they said "Wow! They must have signed that before they died.?."

"A pedal, any kind, will not make a Guitar player more dangerous than he already is." J M Fahey

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"A shot gun delivers a force that exceeds the operational range of most systems, such as pumpkins." Antigua

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 655/15
    Given: 707/0
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
    My brother in law has a picture of the Honeymooners. Signed by the four main cast members (Jackie, Art, Audrey and Joyce). He was showing it to a neighbor one day and they said "Wow! They must have signed that before they died.?."
    Yeh, that's the best time to do that.

Kind of like making future plans. Like, what else would one plan for? Too late to plan for the present, way too late for the past.

Enjoy. Every. Sandwich.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
    Yeh, that's the best time to do that.

Kind of like making future plans. Like, what else would one plan for? Too late to plan for the present, way too late for the past.
    Reminds me of a comedian that said "I remember as a kid that my mom would yell at me "This is last time I'm gonna tell you to take the garbage out!". And I said "Well thank god for that."

And I always comment when someone tell me they found something "In the last place I looked."

Thumbs Up/Down
    One of my all time favorite New Yorker cartoons showed two astronauts on the moon in their space suits, and they are looking at a dead woman in an apron lying on the surface of the moon. One says to the other, "It's that Kramden woman."

Oh well, I was close>>

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alice.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	50944

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 115/2
    Given: 11/0
    That's but one of the many reasons why Charles Ives is one of my heroes. If you want to spend the day smacking your forehead and muttering "Holy shit!" in amazement, get hold of a biography of the man.

Thumbs Up/Down
    That's but one of the many reasons why Charles Ives is one of my heroes. If you want to spend the day smacking your forehead and muttering "Holy shit!" in amazement, get hold of a biography of the man.
    All in a day's work for an insurance salesman. BTW, The Charles Ives Center in nearby Connecticut, just a hop & a skip north of Danbury, is a heckuva nice place to go for a concert. I've done several there, from the production end. The stage is a floating "island" in the lake, with a moat about 15 feet wide, to keep rowdy audience members at bay. (see what I did there, try not to notice.)

Besides Ives, I gotta recommend some Conlon Nancarrow for those who like to challenge their eardrums. He wrote mostly for piano roll, intense compositions that would be impossible for humans to play. You may already know the young Lester Pohlfuss (later known as Les Paul) got his start editing piano rolls. Conlon picked up that ball and ran it through the goal posts, many times over. Nutty, wacky stuff! Lots of it on YouTube, enjoy.

Enjoy. Every. Sandwich.

Banned
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 26/7
    Given: 62/27
    "Prior to Mr Brinkley's death."

I was hoping for something more specific, like a date

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by syzygyn View Post
    "Prior to Mr Brinkley's death."

I was hoping for something more specific, like a date
    Well a date wouldn't matter all that much since some sort of "they/them" powers that we all know actually control everything have been in place since before David Brinkley was born!?! But the point of the thread is quotes. We're not trying to solve all the worlds problems on this particular thread. Quotes only need to be somewhat or partially significant to ring funny or quaint or true on some level. Sorry this one rubbed you the wrong way. But let's all try to move past it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 214/1
    Given: 533/1
    "I've NO idea what I did today, but it took all day to do it"

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Thumbs Up/Down
    Reminded by Florida candidate Gillum, but really from George Bernard Shaw.

Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, but the pig likes it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 115/2
    Given: 11/0
    Then you'll know that the six-degrees-of-separation game can be easily played with Charles Ives and Billy Idol.

Ives helped establish Mutual of New York. Tommy James was looking for an unusual girl's name when recording a song, gazed out the window from a downtown New York studio, and saw the sign for Mutual (M.O.N.Y.), and went with that. Years later, Billy Idol covered "Mony Mony".

In my fair city, we are blessed with being the place where electronic instrument pioneer Hugh LeCaine did most of his work. I was absolutely thrilled to see his "electronic sackbut" in the local science & tech museum, but oh my word, what a piece of cobbled-together crap!

Last edited by Mark Hammer; 10-30-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Then you'll know that the six-degrees-of-separation game can be easily played with Charles Ives and Billy Idol.

Ives helped establish Mutual of New York. Tommy James was looking for an unusual girl's name when recording a song, gazed out the window from a downtown New York studio, and saw the sign for Mutual (M.O.N.Y.), and went with that. Years later, Billy Idol covered "Mony Mony".
    Ok... But can you link him to Keven Bacon

EDIT: Ives helped start M.O.N.Y. - James wrote Mony Mony - Idol covered it - Idol was in The Doors with Val Kilmer - Kilmer was in The Saint with Elisabeth Shue - Shue was in Hollow Man with Kevin Bacon

BOOM! Less than six.

Last edited by Chuck H; 10-30-2018 at 03:13 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    And I had bacon with my breakfast...BOOM...got as far as me.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Yeh, and at the 1998 MIDEM music festival in Cannes, I was guitar teching a concert, where the opening act was the Bacon Brothers. Who was standing right behind me for the duration of the headliner's show, Kevin Bacon himself, swilling a couple Heinekens. If I'd reached back over my head, I would have poked him in the eye. Degrees of separation? Practically zero. Beat that if you can!

Enjoy. Every. Sandwich.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 582/21
    Given: 1,286/5
    Favourite Kevin Bacon quote (from The River Wild where he plays a psycho)

"I am a nice guy. Just a different kind of nice guy."

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    But, I did learn something. There are protons, neutrons, electrons, ............ and morons.

Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 134/6
    Given: 90/0
    A bartendress that I worked with won some contest in 90's to have a night out on the town with Kevin Bacon. She even stopped over at the Cajun restaurant to get a drink. I got to serve a beer to him but it was not a Heineken, it was a crimson voodoo.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 54/0
    Given: 46/0
    "Can't we all just get along?"
    Rodney King

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Thread Information