Thread: neverwet for $1

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 27/0
    Given: 18/0

neverwet for $1

I don't know if there is a Dollar Tree store near you. There are about 6 in my town. They are selling Rustoleum Neverwet. for $1. (everything is $1 there) I haven't tried it yet, but for $1 ea. I bought 3

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 412/0
    Given: 450/0
    You might want to be careful where you use that stuff. Hydrophobic products do have some drawbacks so mask carefully where there might be something it shouldn't be on. And it's use on fabrics and the toilet brush are nice and showy, but impractical. I can't imagine it wares well enough for scrubbing with Comet or repeated washings in a machine. Never get that stuff on anything that requires regulr painting for maintenance. In fact I would look into whether or not it can even be recoated with anything, including itself. Otherwise you have a whole new set of problems with whatever you put it on. Let's say you use it on a vinyl boat canopy (or something) and the stuff can never be recoated.?. Once it starts to wear you'll get uneven, blotchy results trying to use normal vinyl protectants or even more coats of Neverwet. Basically, whatever you decide to spray it on, think it all the way through to where it becomes a problem to consider if there may be one.

My first thought was whether or not it might make a good finish for the back of a guitar neck for a sort of non-stick, PTFE feel. Or maybe use it on the rims of drum shells to mitigate all that popping the heads do as you tune them.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "...less ear-friendly but handy for jazz." Leo_Gnardo

"A pedal, any kind, will not make a Guitar player more dangerous than he already is." J M Fahey

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"A shot gun delivers a force that exceeds the operational range of most systems, such as pumpkins." Antigua

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 245/20
    Given: 25/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
    You might want to be careful where you use that stuff. Hydrophobic products do have some drawbacks so mask carefully where there might be something it shouldn't be on. And it's use on fabrics and the toilet brush are nice and showy, but impractical. I can't imagine it wares well enough for scrubbing with Comet or repeated washings in a machine. Never get that stuff on anything that requires regulr painting for maintenance. In fact I would look into whether or not it can even be recoated with anything, including itself. Otherwise you have a whole new set of problems with whatever you put it on. Let's say you use it on a vinyl boat canopy (or something) and the stuff can never be recoated.?. Once it starts to wear you'll get uneven, blotchy results trying to use normal vinyl protectants or even more coats of Neverwet. Basically, whatever you decide to spray it on, think it all the way through to where it becomes a problem to consider if there may be one.

My first thought was whether or not it might make a good finish for the back of a guitar neck for a sort of non-stick, PTFE feel. Or maybe use it on the rims of drum shells to mitigate all that popping the heads do as you tune them.
    I'd definately try it on my boots or work tennis shoes.. I hate wet socks, It's getting into the rainy season.

nosaj

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Binkie McFartnuggets‏:If we really wanted to know the meaning of life we would have fed Stephen Hawking shrooms a long time ago.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 27/0
    Given: 18/0
    The only place I can think of using it is under the deck of my mower. I just got a new (used) one last week. My old one was VERY old. Everything worked except the deck rusted through from the underside and started to crack at the brackets. The new one is really clean, so I thought I'd spray it with neverwet. After the first mow the coating will either be protected by the grass clippings, or worn off by the grass clippings. Not sure which, but it's easy enough to do. Might spray my work shoes too.
    It's not recommended for electronics but there are videos on youtube of electronics treated with neverwet.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 412/0
    Given: 450/0
    Quote Originally Posted by nosaj View Post
    I hate wet socks,..
    Amen! And orange socks (depending on the brown die used in your shoes).

Along with mower decks you could include other yard steel that spends most of it's time hanging around. Like wheel barrow tubs or shovel/spade heads. Because things like these are high wear they already make single application sprays for maintenance. I just really wonder about the durability and recoat of this product as it could apply to any given application. That has a lot to do with how practical it is. I mean, if it's uber tough (and it should be since they ask you to use a two step process for application) then it may have all sorts of marine and yard uses. If it's not so tough, and it can't be recoated, or not without visual consequences then I can't think of much use for it since there are single application sprays for mower decks, shovels and work shoes that you CAN recoat. And no one want an ugly boat.

"...less ear-friendly but handy for jazz." Leo_Gnardo

"A pedal, any kind, will not make a Guitar player more dangerous than he already is." J M Fahey

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"A shot gun delivers a force that exceeds the operational range of most systems, such as pumpkins." Antigua

Thread Information