Sup'rStrat wiring harness from 1997

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sup'rStrat wiring harness from 1997

I came up with this wiring harness in 1997 after learning a few wiring tricks using a standard 5 position strat switch from Dan Torres. Combined with a PP pot or DPDT toggle switch it added 4 new linkages:
    1. Bridge & Neck in Parallel
    2. Bridge & Neck in Series
    3. Bridge, Middle & Neck in Parallel - and -
    4. Middle in Parallel with the Bridge & Neck in Series

After posting it on AMPAGE I was getting emails from guitarists saying that my wiring harness had changed their lives... Wow!

Back then 4 pole 5 position super strat switches were not that common so being able to get those extra linkages from a standard strat switch was pretty slick. (I have no idea today how the idea popped into my head but I was determined to top what Dan had posted in one of his newsletter/sales flyers!)

From the PDF file attached below:
    The Sup'rStrat wiring harness adds a single DPDT switch to a standard strat selector switch to add 4 alternate linkages to the 5 traditional choices.

The neck and bridge pickups linked together in series and parallel offer tones quite unlike a traditional strat. Linked in parallel, they sound similar to a Tele with both pickups on; linked in series, they have a strong and powerful sound similar to a humbucker, only with a bit more clarity. If one of the bridge or neck pickups is RWRP, both of these linkages are hum-cancelling.

The third alternate linkage is all 3 pickups hooked up in parallel, which produces an exaggerated notched position sound with a lot of "quack".

The fourth alternate linkage wires the middle pickup in parallel with the neck and bridge pickups in series for a notched position sound with a fuller bottom end.
    Click for attached file:
    supr_strat.pdf

Enjoy!

Steve A.

P.S. The text mentions me using a Torres-inspired mid cut/boost control as well as a TBX control that Doc and I eventually rewired. Those drawings are below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sup'rStrat.WiringDiagram-751.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	873784 Click image for larger version

Name:	Sup'rStrat.PP.Switches-800.jpg
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	873785

Click image for larger version

Name:	dual_mid.gif
Views:	3
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	873786 Click image for larger version

Name:	tbx_mod-800.jpg
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	873787
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Sweet! thanks for posting

Comment

I forgot to mention that CTS/Emerson now makes a No Load Tone/Blender pot for $8 that allows you to blend the bridge pickup with the neck and vice versa... 0% to 100%. Or go crazy and use it for all 3 pickups in the notched positions. Very easy to install... lots of bang for the bucks!

You do lose the series linkages in the Sup'rStrat harness but the variable blend feature gives you much more control over your sound. It is so ridiculously simple that I'm surprised that no one figured this out when they came out with no-load tone controls...

https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_...-load_Pot.html

Steve A.
      The Blue Guitar
      www.blueguitar.org
      Some recordings:
      https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Working...
      X