• New hum

Hi all
    Not sure where to post this
    I have 3 rigs all using Korg AX3000g effects pedals
    Had them for about 10 years
    About 5 months ago, I started to get a lot of hum on all 3 rigs
    But......only with certain guitars!
    I have 16 guitars
    6 out of 16 hum loudly ( like bad single coils )
    All my guitars are humbuckers except 1
    I have tried everything I know, with no results
    I run all rigs thru a voltage regulated power supply
    Voltage is constant at 116.7
    Thanks for looking
    Clay

Do the rigs all three do it with the same guitars? And do these rigs travel, and if so, does the hum happen everywhere or just certain locations?

Noww, strap on a guitar that hums like this. STand there and listen to the hum. Now turn 90 degrees and face sideways, in other words aim the guitar to the side. Does the hum stay teh same or does it get stronger or weaker. We want to find if the guitar direction matters. It may be environmental.

HAve we recently added light dimmers or something? ANy other electrical changes?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The hum gets louder when I turn 90 degrees
      Rigs stay in my basement
      No new electrical
      All rigs hum with same guitars
      Thanks
      clay

Comment

Since your guitar aiming changes it, it means your guitars are picking it up from somewhere. Is there anything in the room above you that has recently changed or been added? Portable dehumidifier, room fan, computer gear?

Aim the guitar one way, not walk closer and farther from your amplifier. Does distance matter? My guitar picks up fields from power transformers when I get within a few feet.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Distance makes a difference
          Walking closer to the amp has almost no hum
          Hum seems to be coming from the left side of my basement
          No hum facing right
          Walking farther away doesn't change the hum
          Hum is only facing the left side of basemant
          Also, amount of seems to change from hour to hour and day to day
          Seems you're on the track

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	850113
            Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	850114Click image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	850115
            1st pic is str8 on to amp and cab
            2nd is left of amp
            3rd is left side of basement

Comment

I grew up in Silver Spring, and I know the weather there. Does this possibly correlate to heat? On those really hot days, the power lines can sag and you get low mains voltage. ANy possibility?

best I can suggest is to continue to use the guitar as a direction finder and nearness sensor. See if you can localize the source to a particular place, maybe near some power wiring in the walls?

Comment

Funny, I grew up in rockville md!
                Heat doesn't seem to be an issue
                My buddy who is an electrician thinks it could be a new relay station
                I like the idea of using the guitar to track the hum
                Just don't know why the other guitars have little to no hum
                Thanks
                Clay

Comment

What we do is track down the source of the problem. That tends to make clear the WHY of things. Some pickups may be more sensitive to area fields that others. Some guitars are better shielded inside. Who knows at this point?

Comment

My sister still lives in Gaithersburg, that is where the family gathers for Xmas.

Comment

I hustled pool all over md dc va area. silver spring is a tough area now
                      gaithersburg is a nice place.
                      thanks for the help
                      when my electrician gets back from vegas we'll look for the hum in the house
                      thanks for all your help
                      clay

Comment

Old Heathkit amplifier i see there? What are you powering the pedals with? Have you plugged straight in and see if the hum is there?

Comment

Originally posted by Gunn_Slinger View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]49708[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]49709[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]49710[/ATTACH]
                          1st pic is str8 on to amp and cab
                          2nd is left of amp
                          3rd is left side of basement
                          On left side of the basement turn off that Flourescent light in the picture then play and also turning your guitar 90 degrees. Sometimes the light will start to put out some hash as they get older.. We used to have some of the exit sign that would interfere with the dvr camera systems if they were mounted to close. You could hear them hum if you put your head near them.. Only solution was to replace exit sign or move camera farther away.

nosaj
                          soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

The reason some of your guitars hum more/less than others is likely a combination of specific properties. Some guitars are shielded better than others. Some conductive paints are better than others. Some humbuckers have more symmetrical coils and will cancel hum better. The higher a pickups output the more it can transfer any noise it picks up. So...

Let's say you have a guitar with less than great shielding and a high-ish output humbucker that has a small offset in the coil windings. At face value it looks to be appointed similar to another of your guitars. But that one may have more ideal shielding and somewhat lower output pickups with symmetrical coils. The former will hum more than the latter.
                            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                              The reason some of your guitars hum more/less than others is likely a combination of specific properties. Some guitars are shielded better than others. Some conductive paints are better than others. Some humbuckers have more symmetrical coils and will cancel hum better. The higher a pickups output the more it can transfer any noise it picks up. So...

Let's say you have a guitar with less than great shielding and a high-ish output humbucker that has a small offset in the coil windings. At face value it looks to be appointed similar to another of your guitars. But that one may have more ideal shielding and somewhat lower output pickups with symmetrical coils. The former will hum more than the latter.
                              This is why I honed in on the pic with the flourecscnet light.
                              nosaj

I have 3 rigs all using Korg AX3000g effects pedals
                              Had them for about 10 years
                              About 5 months ago, I started to get a lot of hum on all 3 rigs
                              But......only with certain guitars!
                              soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X