thanks for the input
    Clay

Comment

Originally posted by Gunn_Slinger View Post
      No. They have been in basement for 23 years
      My electrician checked to make sure they didn't hold a charge
      His 'guess' was a new relay sub-station close to me
      The house is on 1/2 acre lot built in 1961
      The whole music room is powered by 2 voltage regulated power supplies that
      hold steady at 116.7 volts
      Its starting to consume my life! Lol
      thanks for the input
      Clay
      You can always use a detuned AM battery AM radio to track the hum as you walk the house. As far as help for this issue you'd be better off with a ham than an electrician.
      Electricians don't always quite understand radio waves which is what your dealing with.
      It could even be something as simple as a twistlock connection having some corrosion on it creating some RF hash.

He was there we were not so we have to do the guessing .

Did find this article on substation hum https://hebel.com.au/resolving-noise...f-substations/

Here's an article from the ARRL on getting it fixed by you, or the electric company and the FCC rules. Including on how to use the AM radio as a locator. This will help you in getting to the crux of the situation
      http://www.arrl.org/power-line-noise

nosaj

nosaj
      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Gunn_Slinger View Post
        His 'guess' was a new relay sub-station close to me
        How close and how new? With a battery powered headphone amp that plugs into your noisiest guitar you could walk around and follow wherever it gets louder. Joyo has one for $20 but I'd go with a $40 Vox Amplug if I was planning to use it musically...

The whole music room is powered by 2 voltage regulated power supplies that hold steady at 116.7 volts
        Is that something installed by an electrician or something that plugs into the existing wiring?

Have you tried turning off all of your breakers except for your music room? And then turn the breaker off for the room and plug your amp into an extension cord connected to various outlets throughout your house as you turn the appropriate breaker on for that test...

Steve A.

P.S. A guitarist friend just got one of those fairly new/very small USB-powered wireless systems that sells for $150. He said it makes his guitars with single coil pickups less noisy. I had been wondering if the guitar would be noisier because there would be no direct connection to earth ground...
        The Blue Guitar
        www.blueguitar.org
        Some recordings:
        https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

All steps should be performed while interference is active!

Go to the main breaker panel or fuse box in the home. Verify the presence of the noise with the battery-powered radio. (Be sure to have your flashlight ready in case the lights go out.)
          If the noise is present and is the same as the interference, shut off all power to the premises by turning off the MAIN circuit breaker or pulling the MAIN fuses. An alternate method is to place the radio next to the meter and, if the noise is present, pull the meter. If the noise on the AM radio stops while the power is off, the source of the interference is within the residence. If the noise continues, you can assume it is coming from a point external to the customer's home.
          Restore the main circuit breaker or fuses or meter.
          If the noise stopped while the power was off, you can locate the circuit supplying the power to the noise source. While monitoring the battery powered AM radio as before, and with the noise present, turn off and on the individual circuit breakers one at a time until the noise stops. Leave off the breaker that stops the noise.
          You must now determine what is on the circuit by going from room to room, if necessary, checking outlets, appliances, and lights for the absence of electricity. The offending noise will be something on this circuit. Turn the breaker back on and wait for the noise to return.
          With the noise back on and using the AM radio to monitor it, return to the area of the noisy circuit and unplug everything on this circuit one at a time until the offending device is found.
          Here are some household items commonly found to cause interference:

Door Bell Transformers
          Electric Blankets
          Electric Blankets
          Heating Pads (of all kinds)
          Recessed Ceiling Light Fixtures
          Furnace Control Circuits
          Refrigerators (Becoming a frequent problem)
          TV Top & Stereo, Amplified Antennas
          Light Dimmers
          Aquarium Heaters
          Screw In Photocells
          Low Energy Compact (screw in) Florescent Lights
          Touch Control Lamps
          Clean Air Machines (table top and furnace type)
          These devices, when causing harmful interference, are in violation of Federal Communications Commission rules and regulations and can be a nuisance to the customer and their neighbors. It is important to have the offending device repaired or replaced to ensure normal safe operation. Many sources of radio and television interference are also caused by arcing. The arcing will generate heat and may signal a fire hazard.
          soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

It sure would help to know the frequency of the hum.

Got an o'scope?

Comment

Agree you have new interference.
              But, if you have some guitars that are quiet, why not make them all quiet.
              You will probably have better luck fixing the guitars, than fixing the interference.

I have a very noisy guitar room.
              Flourescent lights, metal desk with modems, phones, lots of wall warts, etc.
              I shielded my guitars, and made them quiet, except for the Single Coil guitars. which hum when near the amp.
              GL,
              T
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                Here are some household items commonly found to cause interference:

Door Bell Transformers
                Electric Blankets
                Electric Blankets
                Heating Pads (of all kinds)
                Recessed Ceiling Light Fixtures
                Furnace Control Circuits
                Refrigerators (Becoming a frequent problem)
                TV Top & Stereo, Amplified Antennas
                Light Dimmers
                Aquarium Heaters
                Screw In Photocells
                Low Energy Compact (screw in) Florescent Lights
                Touch Control Lamps
                Clean Air Machines (table top and furnace type)
                Great list! Many things I wouldn't necessarily think of, especially several months after bringing them into the house.
                If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Wow, I`m in shocked!

Comment

Working...
                  X