Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peavey Classic 30-Power transformer thermal fuse/limiter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And your ohm meter cannot tell you if a turn has shorted.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Hi,
      This dude seems to have it sussed.............................an epic series to wade through. I wonder if he knows the Phrase..................'Cut to the chase'
      I think 144oC Tf.

John

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk7_NEV3HRA

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
        Cool, but given the low temperature wire it uses, please replace with same temperature thermal fuse.
        Your transformer is working *only* because that thermal opened ... next time it will not toast or ooze varnish (by the way, *what* varnish?) but plain turn into a solid block of copper joining Hot to Neutral, with ... um .... "interesting" Fireworks.
        What Juan said! That thermal fuse is there for a reason. You wouldn't want to be responsible for starting a fire. It does happen.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
          Thermal fuses are available to restore the safety they provide.
          Another reason I was pissed that Radio Shack went out of business because they always had them in stock for quick repairs.
          I bought like a dozen before the local one closed.

Fixed the coffee maker for my boss which needed one.
          He was also angry, it's terrible!

Comment

I suspect with thermal fuses that some cheaper types operate if subjected to long periods of heat that's marginally below their nominal operating temperature, or if they're subjected to transient thermal spikes that cumulatively cause them to fail. There are different types - some consist of springs, thermally compressible wax pellets or granules, and others use a metal alloy with a defined melting point. The metal types seem to be more reliable overall - the characteristics are more sharply defined and they are less susceptible to fatigue failure, yet still provide protection when needed.

Comment

In my experience, Peavey transformers have always been robust, not on the cheap end.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
              X