No announcement yet.

Traynor YGL 3 Head Cap Job Assistance..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traynor YGL 3 Head Cap Job Assistance..

Hello All,

Scored me an old YGL3 head in very good cosmetic condition. All original except fro the 3 prong plug. Just quickly went through the amp with my ESR meter to check the electrolytic caps and noticed a couple of dead caps. Thought I should recap the amp but have a couple of questions... I've attached a gut shot and schematic and I just want to reconcile some values. The two caps that are shot are a 4.7uF in the trem section and one of the 22uF bypass caps. Looking at the chassis there are a couple of caps that I can't tell the value of because they are on the underside. Does anyone here know the value of these caps? I have hilgh-lighted them with a yellow ?? Also, I would like to use a couple of 50/50uF cans to replace the paper caps but don't want to drill the chassis. Can anyone here recommend a hot glue or similar method to attached the can caps safely to the chassis?? Thanks..

Joseph

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9430.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	873831
    Click image for larger version

Name:	traynor-ygl3_3a_mk3.gif
Views:	3
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	873832
    Last edited by cluster; 07-19-2018, 09:49 PM.

On the can caps: I would just mount them as the old paper caps are mounted using a strap.

On the cap values: You have a schematic. Trace the cap leads and see what tube pins they go to. Look it up on the schematic. It's also quite likely the value is on the underside of the caps.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Thanks so much.... The thing is that the schematic doesn't match the actual values in the chassis. example.. Trem section: 4.7uF at 50V in chassis and .047 at 630V on schematic.
      Originally posted by The Dude View Post
      On the can caps: I would just mount them as the old paper caps are mounted using a strap.

On the cap values: You have a schematic. Trace the cap leads and see what tube pins they go to. Look it up on the schematic. It's also quite likely the value is on the underside of the caps.

Comment

If the schematic is in doubt, unsolder one leg of the caps in question and see if the value is printed on the underside.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Look again at the 47uF 50V, it's connected to pin8 not pin7. Is there a 220K (R53) there in parallel with it?
          It's not shown on the schematic, but may have been added for stability, or as a mod. It's definitely not a factory part. The blue ones are what they used at the factory, those 2 black electrolytics have been installed or added by someone else.
          The far left ? cap is C26, feeding V1 plate resistors.
          The other ? cap is C27 at pin3 of V2.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Thanks so much... I determined that the far left blue cap is 10uF as well as the one I incorrectly labeled 16uF. The second from the left is 125uF and is the bypass cap for the common cathode of V2. The 10uf cap (far left) supplies DC to V1a plates. I'll be modding the normal ch to a Marshall style preamp. 2k7/0.68uF cathode, 220k plate and 0.0047uF coupling cap post tone stack. I would love to turn this into a Dumble but I don't have schematics to do so. I guess I could send this to Fuchs but I hear that it expensive for him to convert to ODS. The 2 black electrolytic right of centre are part of the term circuit. The 4.7uF is completely open, so needs replacing. The other is a 125uF but if it was stock would have been blue like the other 125uF bypass cap on v2.

Originally posted by g1 View Post
            Look again at the 47uF 50V, it's connected to pin8 not pin7. Is there a 220K (R53) there in parallel with it?
            It's not shown on the schematic, but may have been added for stability, or as a mod. It's definitely not a factory part. The blue ones are what they used at the factory, those 2 black electrolytics have been installed or added by someone else.
            The far left ? cap is C26, feeding V1 plate resistors.
            The other ? cap is C27 at pin3 of V2.

Comment

Working...
            X