Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face behavior

I have a guy who's acquired a genuine ~1971 Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face pedal in very good condition. They had gone to silicon transistors by then, and the originals here are BC108C, apparently Telefunken branded. I had to replace all the capacitors, including the two electrolytics and the 0.1uF film cap, which was open.

His concern is that it oscillates when the Fuzz control is turned all the way up. I haven't dealt with enough of these to know what's "normal" and what isn't. I do know that they were reportedly fairly inconsistent from unit to unit in the old days.

What's interesting is the fact that he said it oscillated with Fuzz all the way up before he brought it in, when the 0.1uF signal path cap was open. Of course, it didn't pass any other sound at that point.

Some have told me try a zinc carbon 9V battery in it and that that might make it less prone to oscillation. Good idea?

Personally, I think it sounds great without being turned up all the way, so I'm tempted to tell him just not to turn it up all the way...

Clip a small cap across the battery as a test.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Good read on FF here.
      http://www.sonus-pedals.com/history-...fuzz-face.html
      With a great clip of Jimmy Hendrix from '67.

Comment

Working...
      X