Name this amp.........again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name this amp.........again

Anyone able to name this amp ? Someone is trying to find their childhood amp. This is what they gave me to work with

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2459.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	873863

Name:	IMG_2458.JPG
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	873864

Actually how about two? Currently working on this nameless amp.

All it has is an on/off switch which is also the volume control. Input jack in back works fine. Jacks on the right side by volume control are a mystery. One does not work at all. One works but only full volume. You cannot control it with the volume control. Makes a nasty rock tone which is actually kind of awesome but I'm sure was not the intention. must be from the 1940s or so

I recieved it "working" but making a lot of extraneous noise like crackling and hum. That is cleared up now but still not sure about this input jack situation.

Tubes with brown covers over them are marked 75 and 6C6. Other tubes are 6A6, two 6B5 and another called 83-V

Sorry the pictures are flipped. I will ahve to start taking all pictures (physically) sideways so when I post them they are upright in the correct orientation.

Name:	IMG_2464.JPG
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	850259Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2463.JPG
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	850260Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2462.JPG
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	850261Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2461.JPG
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	850262Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2460.JPG
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	850263
    Last edited by nsubulysses; 08-02-2018, 09:55 PM.

Comment

1) when selected and opened on their own, all pictures appear in the proper orientation, at least on Firefox 7 and Irfanview..

2) the top amp in the fuzzy kiddy picture looks 60Ļs Silvertone or some equivalent, probably same OEM factory, and matches somebody who might have been a kid in the 60īs (like me and a few in this Forum).

Now the second one is from the 40īs, doubt somebody "a kid" way back then is alive now, let alone playing.

He would be almost 90 today.

The
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

In the black and white picture if I squint kinda funny I think the badge on the speaker cab looks like an old Harmony badge, but the head does not look like a Harmony. I think the head looks like a PA amp.

Comment

Older amp. If you go here (don't tell anyone) http://theused.com/
          Click on resources, there are a lot of older schematics. Some pre-war (ww2). They are from a fairly rare book, Rider's PA repair manual. They sold mostly radio and tv schematics back in the day but they did sell this PA and amplifier book, hard to find used ($75) but someone does sell the cd on eBay.

The search function sucks, you have to type Dobro to find any National schematics as they shortened it to "Nat". Try Gibson, Epiphone, Ohau, Valco, etc. There are some with output tubes before 6l6, such as 42, 2a3.

Comment

Rider was cool, he was a sort of Sams Photofact before Sams.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Wow, interesting stuff at "the used" but prices are beyond crazy:
              $1500 for a common as dirt 70īs Technics turntable? ... $30000 for a Western Electric cabinet crossover? ... WTF?
              Even for an old stuff *fanatic*
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

$1500 for a common as dirt 70īs Technics turntable?
                and that's without a tone arm!
                Vote like your future depends on it.

Comment

That turntable is not a common as dirt model. It's a studio model. That is actually a better price than any on Ebay currently.

Comment

Elpico amp? Sound city also made one very similarClick image for larger version

Name:	sqai56nozdhypm2d7hq4.jpg
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	850282.

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                      Wow, interesting stuff at "the used" but prices are beyond crazy:
                      $1500 for a common as dirt 70īs Technics turntable? ... $30000 for a Western Electric cabinet crossover? ... WTF?
                      Even for an old stuff *fanatic*
                      its what people will pay, and rich has never been synonymous with smart...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/clt...650135699.html

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I am starting to go through some of the suggestions now.

El Pico looks interesting!

Comment

Working...
                        X