Blackstar Artist 10 AE hum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackstar Artist 10 AE hum

I recenly purchased a new blackstar artist 10 aniversary edition. There is a constant hum as long as a instrument cable is plugged in. The cable does not have to be connected to a instrument though. It is about the same volume as a normal coversation. I was wondering if anyone knows what it could be. I should note that I recieved a replacement amp and it did the same thing although the humm sounded slightly different. So 2 for 2 on the hum. Here is what I have done so far.

1. Replaced the pream tube - no changes in hum
    2. Messed with each nob to see if any affect the hum. None do
    3. Plugged the amp directly into the outlet with a 2 prong adapter to check for ground loop. Did not affect the hum.
    4. Tried plugging the instrument into return jack of the effects loop while nothing is plugged into the normal input jack. No hum, no sound from guitar. (Not sure why the tech team had me do this)
    5. Tried 3 different cables - no effect on hum
    6. Made sure I was on a humbucking pickup - no effect on hum
    7. Hum goes away when standby is turned on. I think I can hear it through the emulated out with headphones in standby although its very faint so not completely sure.

Other things to mention
    1. I hear a small ping like tapping on a light bulb every now and then
    2. I live close to a cell phone tower and have wifi router in my room
    3. Someone had the same problem on the another forum but no one replied to him
    4. The emulated line out seems weak to me but that may just be how its designed. It powers headphones but my audio interface wont really pick up a signal unless max volume gain on amp and interface gain all the way up

Anyway would love some advice, thanks
    Cody

Originally posted by Codyg View Post
    I recenly purchased a new blackstar artist 10 aniversary edition. There is a constant hum as long as a instrument cable is plugged in. The cable does not have to be connected to a instrument though. It is about the same volume as a normal coversation. I was wondering if anyone knows what it could be. I should note that I recieved a replacement amp and it did the same thing although the humm sounded slightly different. So 2 for 2 on the hum. Here is what I have done so far.

1. Replaced the pream tube - no changes in hum
    2. Messed with each nob to see if any affect the hum. None do
    3. Plugged the amp directly into the outlet with a 2 prong adapter to check for ground loop. Did not affect the hum.
    4. Tried plugging the instrument into return jack of the effects loop while nothing is plugged into the normal input jack. No hum, no sound from guitar. (Not sure why the tech team had me do this)
    5. Tried 3 different cables - no effect on hum
    6. Made sure I was on a humbucking pickup - no effect on hum
    7. Hum goes away when standby is turned on. I think I can hear it through the emulated out with headphones in standby although its very faint so not completely sure.

Other things to mention
    1. I hear a small ping like tapping on a light bulb every now and then
    2. I live close to a cell phone tower and have wifi router in my room
    3. Someone had the same problem on the another forum but no one replied to him
    4. The emulated line out seems weak to me but that may just be how its designed. It powers headphones but my audio interface wont really pick up a signal unless max volume gain on amp and interface gain all the way up

Anyway would love some advice, thanks
    Cody
    single ended tube amps can be noisy if the main filtering is faulty,it can be a bad cap or a bad soldering,other causes are bad filaments in the tubes or the balancing resistors related to ground or an elevated potential.
    Are you confident in putting your hands inside an amp?
    Otherwise its better to contact a proper tech.

Comment

Not really confident, I have never worked on an amp before and don’t know how to solder. Infact I almost broke the power tube when I changed the preamp tube because I did not know you should turn the amp on its side. It fell and hit the speaker im amazed it did not break. Would you recomment replacing the power tube before taking it in? Or is it probably the other things you mentioned. It is still under warrenty but I would be without an amp for a while so if power tube is likely I would rather try that. Anyway I appreciate the reply I guess I was hoping it was something simple. Could it be EMI or something? I find it strange that both the amps they sent me did the same thing. Also an update, I applied some contact cleaner to the input but that did nothing. Thanks again for your help!

Comment

If it is under warranty, then don't do ANYTHING to it. DOn't solder anything, don't change tubes, etc.

Hum comes from a thousand places, so someone asking why his amp hums is like someone asking why his car makes a noise. That explains a lack of response.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Well I guess I have cleared the most common reasons for hum that I can do myself. Time to take her in. Might take it to another location to check EMI first dont want to get to the technician, which is quite a drive and have it not hum. ��

Comment

One thing I didn't see is if you tried turning all controls on the guitar to zero while the amp is humming.
            Is the hum still there?
            If the hum goes away, it is being picked up by the guitar and not likely the fault of the amp.
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Hmm just tried everything to zero it an it still hums. I should also mention that it does not hum when I first turn on the amp it takes about 10 seconds. I guess until the tubes kick in? Also while im typing this the ping I mentioned earlier happened and then it the hum got slighly louder. Thats the first time I have noticed that. Thanks for your help :-)

Comment

Working...
              X