X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transistor kits from Amazon

Anyone buy these, or any others?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077W8FFCC...533383646&sr=2

On the face of it, an OK deal, though I am suspicious when the kit itself is labelled "power transistors", which these are not. These may or may not be "real".

I have found over time I preferred to loose order my parts. I'd buy such a kit and never use the S8050 and S8550 (Types I have never encountered), a couple of the BC types, and I'd run out of the 2SA and 2SC types really quick. Those two are used a lot in asian circuits. Or were at the time.

I once bought a resistor kit - like 50 years ago - came with five each of a bunch of values. I quickly ran through the several values I needed a lot, and I still have a bunch of them in my drawer of some other values.

But that is my personal experience and outlook, others may feel very different.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Agree and add: why not? Itīs only 10 bucks.
      But Iīd mate it to something else, say the resistor kit, to reach free shipping level.
      *Just as a starter* of course and then check what actually gets used, then restock only that, by the 50 or 100 each, straight from Mouser or equivalent.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

My two cents: very new to electronics, and having done searches like you're doing for a few years now, I have found Amazon more and more to be the overpriced source. Kits very similar to the one in your link with 200pcs, you can get 600 to 800 pieces for the same or similar price. That will give you 3 to 4 times more parts that you don't need as well, its a win-win. Seriously scour ebay, and you'll find a lot more variety, and many of them have shipping included. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...t&_sacat=92074
        The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

guitardad another thought: Many of the people on this blog are serious, long time, professional electronics wizards. You might start a thread with: "What is the top 20 or 25 transistor types that you see in music electronics circuits...". and see what kind of responses you get. You might end up buying bulk of a few types taht are most used, rather than a big box of lots of different types, many you won't use.
          The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Originally posted by mikepukmel View Post
            guitardad another thought: Many of the people on this blog are serious, long time, professional electronics wizards. You might start a thread with: "What is the top 20 or 25 transistor types that you see in music electronics circuits...". and see what kind of responses you get. You might end up buying bulk of a few types taht are most used, rather than a big box of lots of different types, many you won't use.
            Was going for a thumbs up, but that little box is just an accident waiting to happen $-)

Wanted to agree with quantity discount on quality parts from a reliable dealer.

Grab bag stuff is cool though if you want to prototype.

My one cent's worth.

Comment

There's some common ones I use and see often enough. Usually I go via Digikey, Mouser etc. Many common ones even in bulk of 50 are a lot more than this box, plus 6-7 bucks for basic shipping

Bulk semis I have also ordered from Tayda. They've been good too. They just take 28 days or more to get here.

Just thought I'd see if people here were using bulk kits from Amazon Ebay etc

Comment

In fact you donīt *really* need 25 different types of transistors , as long as you meet the *function* , period.

Basically same transistor can be had in 3 different pinouts but if you order them in the most common one, when needing one of the others just bend legs for insertion in the proper hole and call it a day.

Personally my general purpose small transistor complement consists of:

* BC546/556 NPN/PNP respectively, 100mA , high gain, **65Vce** , way more than most out there.
                https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/149/BC550-888526.pdf
                https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/149/BC556-888527.pdf
                These alone cover 99% of all needs: preamps, power amp input and protection, Led drivers, whatever.

If only one complementary pair is stocked and nothing else, these are the ones.

I buy them in 500 lots each, but 50+50 or even 25+25 is reasonable as a shop/hobby backup.

Of course pinout wonīt match Japanese ones, but often you just put them the other way round, or, worst case, bend/twist legs to fit.

If 65Vce is not enough (as in my 300W MosFet amps with +/-65 V rails) :

* 2N5551/5401 : same thing but stand 140Vce .
                The price paid for that is lower DC gain.
                Get 10 each and keep them in their own separate bag just in case you need them.

If 100mA is not enough :
                * BC337/327

Same thing as the first ones, but 45Vce and *800 mA*

Still TO92 and 625mW dissipation so donīt go crazy with them, but excellent as Reverb drivers, headphone/line out current boosters (driven by an Op Amp which typically canīt supply more than 5 mA), small power amps (think 1 W RMS), small current regulators, drivers in, say, 15W discrete power amps (think Japanese made Fender Sidekick or 70īs Peavey or Crate, etc.)
                10 each can go a long way.

These 3 pairs cover more ground than the random assortment above and you will waste no one.
                Last edited by J M Fahey; 08-04-2018, 09:20 PM.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                X