X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• directional cables?

I hope to hell this is a joke:

(from DIYAudio)

I've been performing experiments lately on my directional interconnects. I'd read that hanging them vertically for a few weeks and brushing them in a downwards direction for an hour or so a day helps align the crystal lattice and reduce listening fatigue.

I thought I'd try using magnetism, by running a horseshoe magnet along their length while they were hanging. While it worked very well to align the crystal lattice, the polarisation due to having both poles of the magnet in close proximity has had a deleterious effect on soundstage and stereo imaging. I'm left with cables that, while they aren't as fatiguing as new ones out of the box, are significantly less dynamic and have muddy field.

Rather than abandoning the idea of magnetism, I instead came up with using a toroidal transformer, making use of the balanced nature of the fields through the center of the core. By running that down the cable while it hung from a hook, I was able to increase the soundstage significantly, while also reducing the fatiguing effect due to the crystal lattice discontinuities. Hooking the transformer to a DC power supply in constant current mode was the final "ahah!" moment - suddenly I've got reduced distortion, increased soundstage, and a huge drop in inter-stage mistiness. I swear I can hear Gilmour fart three minutes and eleven seconds into wish you were here!
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Wow, I had forgotten about it but this reminded me. There was a thing going around once about guitar cables being directional.
    -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      I hope to hell this is a joke:

(from DIYAudio)
      They should roll that up and smoke it cause it must be good.

nosaj
      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

I'm pretty sure she's joking. No other posts along those lines, but from elsewhere:
        "Full disclosure. My day job is as an electronics engineer working in the radio astronomy field. The instrument I work on is one of the larger radio telescopes globally (and growing). Modern radio telescopes make great use of beamforming, both at the focus of antennas with parabolic dishes and directly with aperture plane arrays"

I did get a kick out of the 'inter-stage mistiness' reference.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

"have muddy field."

like in a muddy field I find...BS!

crystalline lattice effects!! Click image for larger version

Name:	mikro-pebbles.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	851328

Evidence Audio sells "directional" instrument cables, but they really should be named "Sucker Testimonial Audio" because actual evidence is totally lacking...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Evidence.JPG
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	851330

^^ this is, obviously, the instrument end of their $210 Forte cable...or maybe the amp end?
          better get out the Ouija board to sort this out!

Comment

That´s the *average* stuff at DIY Audio.

FWIW I have been banned there for 3 days for "insulting a distinguished Forum Member" who specializes on writing such crap and either sneers at or violently disagrees whith those countering him.

I visit them now and then because there is a small cache of pearls hidden under the crap, but the *average* level is appalling, to say it mildly.

Just 2 days ago a madman was publishing schematics for his 5kW into 16 ohm, Class D "design", straight fed from rectified mains which to boot were step up to 400V DC, because 308V DC (rectified Switzerland mains) "was not enough to meet his goals".

He got very angry and answered the classic "you don´t know who I am" ..... ... which of course nobody does.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I was strongly searching a place where people could appreciate the value of my new business idea of directional spaghetti. Now I know. You miscredents will never know the taste of a single spaghetto that comes to your mouth the same side it has been dropped into the boiling pot.

Comment

Originally posted by Roberto View Post
                I was strongly searching a place where people could appreciate the value of my new business idea of directional spaghetti. Now I know. You miscredents will never know the taste of a single spaghetto that comes to your mouth the same side it has been dropped into the boiling pot.
                Dear GAWD!! Why couldn’t you have you have told me this years ago before I developed celiacs disease! Now I’ll never know what spaghetti might have been. To think my whole life i’d been eating bi-directional spaghetti where it turns out the main ingredient was my own ignorance,
                If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Roberto View Post
                  Cool idea, , but there´s a small problem: people might eat all spaghetti in a bowl at random, this cancelling the improvement in soundstage, black noise granularity and tempo. Oh, and midrange fuzzyfizzyness.

2 ways to solve that:

1) you dye one spaghetto end red, the other end green, then you can keep them in phase.

2) the trivial (although laborious solution) : you use a long *single* noodle.

Couldn´t find the related YT video about Restaurants serving 50 meter continuous noodles, but found second best:

Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thanks Juan Manuel for sharing that: look at 1:23, everybody with a grain of cooking salt knows that spaghetti must be rolled anti-clockwise in the northern emisphere, to follow the natural rules of gravitational pattern applied to water and let the flavours awake.

Are they trying to keep the mass in ignorance, or are they doing secret noodle experiments in the southern emisphere?

Comment

I think they are showing the wrong recipe on purpose

These cunning Orientals !!!
                      Look at what Japanese claim, in order to be able to sell Fukushima noodles, also known as "glow in the dark radioactive noodles" :
                      https://soranews24.com/2015/08/25/ja...-the-internet/

you know, the broken reactor still oozes (radioactive) boiling water, so why waste it?
                      Why not use it to cook some pasta?
                      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

“These are bright! My ‘electrical udon’ for an event at the end of the month.”
                        I think they translated it uncorrectly.
                        I'm pretty sure the last word in the original language was 世界.

Funny thing is that during the 60s in europe the "natural radioactivity" was definitely a plus to use in advertisements:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lurisia2.jpg
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	851332 Click image for larger version

Name:	sodazoe-470.jpg
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	851333 Click image for larger version

Name:	chocolat_radium-580.jpg
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	851334

Comment

I think it's just as well thumbs up/down is disabled, but I sure could have used a few on this thread for Roberto's brilliant satire.

I'm not sure if the referenced post was joking. It does seem too in depth for someone that might fall for such silliness. Unless that person is baiting and plans to market their toroid treated cables

My favorite so far was the company selling a special tape. Probably cryo treated and polarized with an aligned grain structure, etc. I can't remember. The idea was that if you put a strip of this tape on any piece of your gear it would improve performance. The cabinet your amplifier is in, your cables or even on the wall in your special listening room. There were a dozen positive testimonials. I swear it was just rainbow tape. They were selling it by the inch so it was easy to see in scale that it was the same width and pattern as the standard, narrow rainbow tape. You know the stuff. It's metallic with the iridescent effect. I looked right at it. It was rainbow tape. How many outfits could possibly make that stuff. Being as there were a dozen positive reviews I suppose a lot of people with money and time disproportionate to their intelligence bought it.
                          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                            I'm not sure if the referenced post was joking. It does seem too in depth for someone that might fall for such silliness.
                            Here's a piece from said DIY poster's blog. Right on topic with one of our recent discussions and a few great tips for spotting fake power Fet's.
                            I think the DIY post was some pretty brilliant satire.

http://www.suzyj.net/2017/02/more-fakes.html
                            Originally posted by Enzo
                            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

This surely intended as a joke, DIY not such a flakey forum, a lot of well known engineers there and advanced experimenters.
                              That being said, mic and balanced like cables are often directional and had arrows printed on their jacket. Nothing hoddi-voodi however, it means the cable has the shield disconnected at one end to prevent ground currents to flow between two chassis. The shielding properties are intact but there is no DC connection between the two chassis.

Comment

Working...
                              X