eric johnson pickup specs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eric johnson pickup specs?

Anybody have any details on the pickups in the Eric Johnson strat? Larger dia. magnets? Winding specs?
    www.chevalierpickups.com

to quote

"19 prototype pickups were created before Johnson found the tone he was looking for. The Custom Shop-modified single coils use a new wire material and winding technique for the magnets giving them a unique sound. Johnson and Braun also included one of Eric's most famous Strat modifications by wiring the tone controls to the neck and bridge pickups, instead of the standard neck/middle tone configuration of most Strats."

good luck with that.

Comment

I'm not trying to copy the pickup, just wondering why it sounds the way it does. New wire material? I knew about the tone mod and I like it myself.
      www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

I've worked on a few, and they sound very good. Not sure as though I would get too hyped up over them.

Comment

The tone mod is also known as the Jimmy Vaughan mod, no tone on the middle pickup. New wire materials? Wow wonder what kind of BS spin that is?
          http://www.SDpickups.com
          Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
            New wire materials? Wow wonder what kind of BS spin that is?
            I think they take some Peter Green pickups and use that wire....
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

New material wire

Could "new material wire" mean old plain polysol?

Comment

when I used to play a strat, I hooked my bridge pick up to the neck tone pot. Those two are never used at the same time in standard wiring, so I retained independent tone control.

All I know is that if it's for Eric Johnson, they better make sure the start with the right end up the wire. After all, he's the guy who says that he can hear a difference on which end of his guitar cable gets plugged in where. They may have to unravel the pick ups and start with the other end.

Comment

Eric Johnson used to use the original stacked Dimarzio stacked pickups, with the bottom coil bypassed. That's a thin tone. Then he kept his tone control all the way off.

I always rewire strats to have a tone control on the bridge pickup. The other control works the neck and middle.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                  X