Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to accurately describe the tone of magnets and/or pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, I didn't intend to restart a discussion about the Alumitones.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

• Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
      While I generally agree that nonlinear effects (and consequent cross-modulation of frequency components) in PUs tend to be underrated, I wonder what you mean by "nonlinear wire losses"?
      Losses that result from the interaction of currents in the individual turns of the coil. These losses vary with scatter, overlap and tension of the windings and are typically greater in hand-guided vs machine-guided coils.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Sulzer View Post
        (2) You have claimed to have made a material with low conductivity and permeability. Therefore it interacts very little with magnetic fields. You are claiming that very small changing feeds cause significant hysteresis effects in a material with little interaction with those fields. That does not happen.
        I am not sure how you can claim that something is impossible when you haven't tried it. I have been working with these materials for years, have several issued patents that cover their use as pickup components and external tone modifiers, and offer pickups on my website that use them to modify tone in the way that you claim is impossible.

You appear to be well-versed in basic EE principles but fail to realize that there are aspects of tone generation in a pickup cannot be fully described using these concepts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tone Cam View Post
          Losses that result from the interaction of currents in the individual turns of the coil. These losses vary with scatter, overlap and tension of the windings and are typically greater in hand-guided vs machine-guided coils.
          It is not clear to me what nonlinear effects you are referring to. Capacitance between turns and the proximity effect are linear phenomena that do not produce harmonics, though they introduce additional frequency dependancies.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

• Originally posted by Tone Cam View Post
            I am not sure how you can claim that something is impossible when you haven't tried it. I have been working with these materials for years, have several issued patents that cover their use as pickup components and external tone modifiers, and offer pickups on my website that use them to modify tone in the way that you claim is impossible.

You appear to be well-versed in basic EE principles but fail to realize that there are aspects of tone generation in a pickup cannot be fully described using these concepts.
            Have you solely relied upon your sense of hearing to confirm the phenomena you describe?

Comment

• (1) Then you do not understand how physics and science in general work. This is not to say that scientists are not wrong sometimes. When they are, it is usually some very complicated consequence of general laws, something that seems intuitively right, but fails when the consequences of the law are fully computed. You appear to be exploring an E&M phenomenon that is a violation of Maxwell's equations: a hysteresis effect from a tiny field caused by a medium that interacts weakly with magnetic fields.

(2) Physics is necessary to understand pickups. The principles of EE are used to analyze the derived circuit.

Originally posted by Tone Cam View Post
              (1) I am not sure how you can claim that something is impossible when you haven't tried it. I have been working with these materials for years, have several issued patents that cover their use as pickup components and external tone modifiers, and offer pickups on my website that use them to modify tone in the way that you claim is impossible.

You appear to be well-versed in basic EE principles (2) but fail to realize that there are aspects of tone generation in a pickup cannot be fully described using these concepts.

Comment

Working...
              X