Oddball Ampeg Reverberocket schematic needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oddball Ampeg Reverberocket schematic needed

I just got this cool Ampeg amp for a trade. Great,and I mean great little amp, but has a hum I'm trying to chase down. I've researched it as best I could.According to the label it's a R-12 with tubes listed as 6SL7 -6SL7- 6v6-6v6-5y3.Weird enough that it shows 5 tubes, which mine indeed is, but my tubes are 6SL7-6SN7-6SL7-7591-7591 with a SS rectifier and reverb only. The serial number places it as 1962, but I'm not convinced as it no how matches the label.The speaker is 1961 so maybe the date is right. To confound things even more,it was modded at some point with new filter caps and the mic and accordian inputs now sport a standby switch and one marked DC which I believe cut plate current. Why, is beyond me.I can do realbasic stuff but really need a roadmap to sort it out.Anyone seen or have a schematic that's close? Another oddity is the arraignment of the input holes are not in line,but at a slant. Of the dozens online that I've seen, none have that feature.Click image for larger version

Name:	Tubers.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	497.6 KB
ID:	873876

Its a Reverberocket R-12RB:

https://tubeamplifierparts.com/schem..._schematic.gif

Comment

It's SUPPOSED to be an R12-RB, but methinks that poor amp has been modded more than it seems. It only has 4 knobs?

Can we please get an inside chassis shot? Reverberockets don't have reverb transformers. I think a tube socket was repurposed. Along with a knob...

Justin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

I have the R12-RB schematic already,but it has an extra tube, mine has five. Here are some pic's, if a socket been repurposed, dang if I can see it.Well shoot, I had no problem when I posted the first picture, but when I try it now it asks for URL link.Does that mean I have to post online elsewhere and relink?

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
          It's SUPPOSED to be an R12-RB, but methinks that poor amp has been modded more than it seems. It only has 4 knobs?

Can we please get an inside chassis shot? Reverberockets don't have reverb transformers. I think a tube socket was repurposed. Along with a knob...

Justin
          Here you go!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5159.JPG
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	851340Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5160.JPG
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	851341Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5161.JPG
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	851342Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5164.jpgrs.jpg
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	851343

Comment

I think now that this started out as a R-12, someone installed a SS rectifier and repurposed the tremolo to drive a reverb tank.Now I got to figure out if the hum is just a bad component or an artifact of the redesign. This is out of my paygrade, maybe I'll get lucky. I may return it to speck, but it sure would help to have a layout of this amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickanopie View Post
              I just got this cool Ampeg amp for a trade. Great,and I mean great little amp, but has a hum I'm trying to chase down. I've researched it as best I could.According to the label it's a R-12 with tubes listed as 6SL7 -6SL7- 6v6-6v6-5y3.Weird enough that it shows 5 tubes, which mine indeed is, but my tubes are 6SL7-6SN7-6SL7-7591-7591 with a SS rectifier and reverb only. The serial number places it as 1962, but I'm not convinced as it no how matches the label.The speaker is 1961 so maybe the date is right. To confound things even more,it was modded at some point with new filter caps and the mic and accordian inputs now sport a standby switch and one marked DC which I believe cut plate current. Why, is beyond me.I can do realbasic stuff but really need a roadmap to sort it out.Anyone seen or have a schematic that's close? Another oddity is the arraignment of the input holes are not in line,but at a slant. Of the dozens online that I've seen, none have that feature.[ATTACH=CONFIG]50003[/ATTACH]
              That's not an R12-RB. I've had one for years and have recappped it, installed a 3 prong plug, etc. I just finished a 3 prong plug on a '58 Ampeg Jet (J-12B) and it has the same tube layout that the Rocket you pictured has. Looks like somebody really modded it trying to turn it into something it isn't. You have an R12. It doesn't have reverb (not supposed to), standby switch, or a SS rectifier. Somebody kluged this one up pretty good. Here is an R12 schematic. I have also attached an excerpt of the definitive Ampeg book that details the tube changes made in 1963 from 6V6's to 7591's. I own 7 old Ampegs and know these old amps pretty well. Yours is apparently heavily modded.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the advise,am working towards working understanding of electronics. I really like the sound as is except for a hum that goes up with volume control,so I'm assuming it's in the first stage.I replaced the v1 with no change, have an esr meter coming to check bypass caps.

Comment

Working...
                X