Tube rattle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube rattle?

Just when you think I cant ask another newbie question here is yet another!
    I have an old GE rectifier 5Y3GT ...I have had it for a long time. Bought years ago as testing NOS and I never have plugged it into anything. Now that I am well into this lil Princeton amp build I was getting the final parts together and I noticed it has a rattle when I roll it around like something is in the base. It isn't in the upper part of the tube where I can see it it is in the black plastic base. Is this typical? Leftover stuff from the build process?

I dont have a tube tester that is definitely on the equipment to buy list.
    Regardless if it isnt good a new 5Y3GT is in the parts to buy.

Dale

Is the plastic keyway intact?
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Yep tube looks minty.. but if I roll it over I hear something loose. I can always try it out once I get my transformers and see how she does.

Comment

I've experienced this before with rectifiers on two occasions. Since the tube was working properly otherwise and not causing any amplified anomalies I chose to ignore it. Neither amp ever came back to me with a rectifier failure. Though that doesn't mean I know they didn't fail eventually due to a mechanical fault I suppose.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by tubedood View Post
          I noticed it has a rattle when I roll it around like something is in the base. It isn't in the upper part of the tube where I can see it it is in the black plastic base. Is this typical?

Dale
          I realize this thread is a bit dated... But my first thought was that it's probably a chip of whatever adhesive material that was used in adhering the glass bulb to the base.

I've seen a couple instances of this, and it wasn't a concern as far as safe operation of the tube.
          Start simple...then go deep!

"EL84's are the bitches of guitar amp design." Chuck H

"How could they know back in 1980-whatever that there'd come a time when it was easier to find the wreck of the Titanic than find another SAD1024?" -Mark Hammer

Comment

Working...
          X