Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smile For The Camera!

Say Cheeze!
    Are you being tracked by your Smartphone, or Laptop Camera?

https://thehackernews.com/2018/08/so...per-osint.html
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Every laptop cam I've had for the last decade gets one of these 1st thing, we use them in the lab, just the white ones.

The UK and China have cameras EVERYWHERE so there's no hiding without a disguise!

(Your Samsung TV can record sound even when OFF, but not unplugged and in a box like mine for the last 2 years...)

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
      [IMG](Your Samsung TV can record sound even when OFF, but not unplugged and in a box like mine for the last 2 years...)
      You sure?

Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Every laptop cam I've had for the last decade gets one of these 1st thing, we use them in the lab, just the white ones.

The UK and China have cameras EVERYWHERE so there's no hiding without a disguise!

(Your Samsung TV can record sound even when OFF, but not unplugged and in a box like mine for the last 2 years...)
        So how do you disable the microphone?

Steve A.
        The Blue Guitar
        www.blueguitar.org
        Some recordings:
        https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

You could open up the set and unplug it.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

for the microphone, I live alone so unless hours of guitar playing, me texting, the sizzle of a soldering iron or an intermittent toilet flush make the russian hackers any money I think I'm safe

(of course there's many many hours of recorded music of dubious copyright as well)

Comment

Just Thinking?
              Wouldn't a TV have to have a wifi hookup or something to do the dirty deeds, with camera and mic.
              I have a Samsung Smart 50 inch in the Living Room.
              Don't know if it has a mic or camera.
              I run the smart features off the wifi.
              My Laptops all have Cameras, which I keep covered with tape.
              The Laptop Mic, I keep turned off on the audio Mixer? (a feature in Linux Pulse Audio)
              Anyway, I thought the HackerNews article was an interesting read.
              T
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

for the microphone, I live alone so unless hours of guitar playing, me texting, the sizzle of a soldering iron or an intermittent toilet flush make the russian hackers any money I think I'm safe

(of course there's many many hours of recorded music of dubious copyright as well)
                Who needs Russian hackers when friendly NSA is available 24/7 ?
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                  So how do you disable the microphone?

Steve A.
                  Soldering iron, followed by a screwdriver.
                  The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                    Just Thinking?
                    Wouldn't a TV have to have a wifi hookup or something to do the dirty deeds, with camera and mic.
                    I have a Samsung Smart 50 inch in the Living Room.
                    I run the smart features off the wifi.
                    My Laptops all have Cameras, which I keep covered with tape.
                    The Laptop Mic, I keep turned off on the audio Mixer? (a feature in Linux Pulse Audio)
                    Anyway, I thought the HackerNews article was an interesting read.
                    T
                    Yes, needs an internet connection. Careful, though, some nice queueing software out there that can collect data, then sit and wait. If at some point, it detects a wifi, or wired connection, it can upload the payload.
                    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Besides 24/7 exposure to low level microwaves all over the damn place, this is one of the main reasons for my dislike of the 'internet of things'.

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                        Read the owner's manual. Yeh, I know - nobody does that, everything's plug & play and we all want our entertainment NOW. Something to do on a rainy afternoon.
                        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I will try to find the article, but recently (few years) a guy was accused of a crime, based on computer image recognition software from some kind of security software, and it turned out to be wrong. Really awful story. Threw a wrench into the guys life. The criminal looked a lot like the guy. FOund it:

https://www.vocativ.com/418052/false...ing/index.html
                          Last edited by mikepukmel; 08-26-2018, 04:13 PM.

Comment

I don't think that someone needs me)

Comment

These reports are terrible news and I had to double check them to see if they were true. I have so many questions:
                              Why isn't this openly disclosed before a purchase? Why hasn't the media covered this in detail? Why are we okay with this as citizens? What can we do to limit this kind of spying besides damaging our electronics?

Comment

Working...
                              X