Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for .195" Humbucker Slugs (For Epiphones)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for .195" Humbucker Slugs (For Epiphones)

I'm looking for a relatively small amount (just 60 total for) of the .195" Humbucker Slugs from someone who can get them to my home in California quick.
    I've looked everywhere, can't find anybody in the States who has them.

I've seen them from chinese manufacturers, but with the 21+ day wait time, I can't fulfill my orders in time.

Right now my plan is to take apart my epiphone Pup's just to satisfy the orders! Hoping that the metal isn't some weird grade/alloy

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    - Zach
    ZR Guitar Pickups

Found some on amazon, but only from China. I'll likely be getting a larger order of these, because I already purchased a bulk supply of chinese bobbins, not realizing they are not only a different height, but they use different sized slugs as well. In the mean time... I used super glue to fulfill my orders. So far no complaints (except by me).

Am I the only one using the .195 bobbins/slugs? Has anyone noticed a difference in tone between the two sizes? So far I've only found .195 humbucker slugs available in 1018 grade steel, but I've seen some Europeans might be able to find the same stuff under a different name?

Anybody have any insight into this?

Thanks for any info

Comment

Got a lathe? DIY would be pretty fast for only 60.

Comment

Agree and I´m a dedicated DIY guy myself, but I guess those cut-from-round-bar parts will later need some kind of rust prevention treatment, say chrome/nickel/zinc plating or at least some kind of passivation, doubt paint or varnish are used there.

What´s the standard finish on commercially bought slugs?
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

vintage = nickel

modern = copper/nickel/chrome

get'er'done = Minwax rattle can lacquer

Comment

For a finish on the slugs, gun bluing might look pretty cool. Something I do to my pocket knives (1095) is dip the degreased blades in very warm vinegar. Turns them charcoal gray/black and is many times more rust resistant than unfinished. So bluing or acid dip and then a coat of rattle lacquer should probably last a long, long time and would have a distinctive look.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
              Agree and I´m a dedicated DIY guy myself, but I guess those cut-from-round-bar parts will later need some kind of rust prevention treatment, say chrome/nickel/zinc plating or at least some kind of passivation, doubt paint or varnish are used there.

What´s the standard finish on commercially bought slugs?
              Most aftermarket slugs are nickel plated. That's what Gibson used/uses mostly. In the 70s and early 80s Gibson slugs were zinc plated instead. Those were prone to white powder corrosion (zinc oxide).
              Seymour Duncan Antiquities' slugs are not plated but have some efficient passivation (kind of blacking).
              Traditional Gibson steel most probably was 1215.
              Last edited by Helmholtz; 11-05-2018, 07:43 PM.
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Maybe Gun related "Cold Bluing" works here.

Not a *real* bluing but some kind of sulfur compound which happens to be blackish but works well unless subject to extreme conditions such as salt spray.
                Not sure about human sweat and that could be a problem.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                  Maybe Gun related "Cold Bluing" works here.

Not a *real* bluing but some kind of sulfur compound which happens to be blackish but works well unless subject to extreme conditions such as salt spray.
                  Not sure about human sweat and that could be a problem.
                  Thanks for the clarification. I did mean cold bluing.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Another thing to consider on humbucker slugs?
                    If you install a nickel humbucker cover, then the slug plating would not be necessary.
                    Plus you can charge more for the cover!
                    T
                    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                      For a finish on the slugs, gun bluing might look pretty cool. Something I do to my pocket knives (1095) is dip the degreased blades in very warm vinegar. Turns them charcoal gray/black and is many times more rust resistant than unfinished. So bluing or acid dip and then a coat of rattle lacquer should probably last a long, long time and would have a distinctive look.
                      Is there something that could make a look like damascus steel?
                      nosaj
                      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

.195" is only about one thou under 5mm. Have you tried searching for that? It might get some more results.

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                          Is there something that could make a look like damascus steel?
                          nosaj
                          I dunno? The exposed portion of the slug is pretty small. Not much room for dramatic movements. How about a damascus "look" on a cover? Photo finish?

Comment

Originally posted by Antiqua View Post
                            Got a lathe? DIY would be pretty fast for only 60.
                            I'll probably go that route eventually, even if it's just to try it out. How would you recommend cutting them down to size (.688", .710, etc.)? I'm not much of an expert on the available machining tools to do that type of precision cutting.

I'd be interested in seeing some damascus type steel used in these, I wonder how it would affect the tone? I like where this conversation is going...

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/ULTNICE-Humbuc.../dp/B07CMWCMVD

Doesn't state the length (that I could see,) but certainly cheap enough.

This one is even cheaper, and states 1215 steel, 17mm long (.669") www.gearbest.com/guitar-parts/pp_1704033.html

Comment

Working...
                              X