Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Randall View Post
    "Why do you suspect the mosfet?"

Because it's a simple circuit, and signal stops at the gate. Haven't pulled it to measure yet. Not sure which version of this circuit I have, there are some different ones, or I would post a schematic. Basically, input passes thru a cap, there is signal on one side, not the side that connects with MOSFET gate. In circuit diode test reads have my meter chirping like a bird.

Mostly interested in the lamps function in life.
    that mosfet needs a zener protection,that's why sometimes it fails,and maybe a resistor in series with the gate.

Comment

Turns out this is a "very custom build" by Phil Jamison at Matchless. I managed to get a little screwdriver in and flip that footswitch, and now the amp functions. Phil commented that he would not have put that box in there, but that's what the guy wanted. Plus it was turned full up. My customer took it home to see how he likes it now without the mod. He's a purist of sorts, so I imagine he will like it as it was intended. Stranger one this was.
      It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
        Turns out this is a "very custom build" by Phil Jamison at Matchless. I managed to get a little screwdriver in and flip that footswitch, and now the amp functions. Phil commented that he would not have put that box in there, but that's what the guy wanted. Plus it was turned full up. My customer took it home to see how he likes it now without the mod. He's a purist of sorts, so I imagine he will like it as it was intended. Stranger one this was.
        Wonder who hit the switch? Guess it wasn't the fet at all
        nosaj
        soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

My guess is that the FET is bad and that flipping the switch bypassed the effect taking it out of the circuit.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
            My guess is that the FET is bad and that flipping the switch bypassed the effect taking it out of the circuit.
            That's very probable I should've' thought of that. Signal trace would've told us for sure.
            nosaj
            soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

It definitely true bypassed the failed board.
              It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Working...
              X