This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
    As long as the probe width allows flat placement on staggered strat PU poles, it's probably fine with most PU applications.
    Will this shape be better?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	GM_07.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	852867
    This is bottom layer as seen from the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkusBass View Post
      Will this shape be better?
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]52167[/ATTACH]
      This is bottom layer as seen from the bottom.
      Looks better to me. What are actual dimensions?

The SpinDoctor has a tip width of 5.4mm measured at the sleeve and I got used to it. But for most applications a width of up to 0.5 inch (12.7mm) should be OK.

Other opinions?
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
        Looks better to me. What are actual dimensions?
        The tip is 5 mm wide.The lower part is 14 mm wide but this shouldn't be critical.

Comment

Guass meter question

Hi Markus
          The Elepro meter that I put together has 2 hall effect sensors on opposite sides of the circuit board. It works fine for most measuring purposes (a little thick for under string measurement, but I dont do that anyway as the strings affect the readings) I used epoxy around the sensor to protect it but the face of the sensor is open Click image for larger version

Name:	eleprosmall.jpg
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	852878´
          I Have attached a photo of one side. Let me know when or if you are selling some meters and i'll have one.
          Cheers
          Andrew

Comment

Yes, I'll be selling them. But at the moment I have just 1 prototype that I can sell (the other one will be used for tests) and I ordered several PC boards yesterday. I think I'll get them in a week. So in let's say 2 weeks I'll have some more meters.

Mark

Comment

Hi Mark

Thanks, there`s no rush.

Andrew

Comment

Yesterday I visited friends in Milan (IT) who make their own pickups and guitars and I tested my meter with one of their pickups (with alnico magnets). I was a little afraid that the magnets are to strong for my meter. The maximum value that can be measured is 1640 Gs and their magnets are 1129 Gs. It was close but there is still some headroom . Are there pickups with even stronger magnets?

Name:	GM_08.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	852971

Comment

Yesterday I visited friends in Milan (IT) who make their own pickups and guitars and I tested my meter with one of their pickups (with alnico magnets). I was a little afraid that the magnets are to strong for my meter. The maximum value that can be measured is 1640 Gs and their magnets are 1129 Gs. It was close but there is still some headroom . Are there pickups with even stronger magnets?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52350[/ATTACH]
                  Hi Mark

If the sensors only go to 1640 g maybe you can use the same ones that elepro used
                  https://music-electronics-forum.com/...ro+gauss+meter

Features:
                  Range +/- 5375 gauss (with AD22151 sensor) or +/- 1650 Gauss (with A1302 sensor)
                  Normal, peak-hold and average mode
                  1024 sample per reading in normal mode, 64 in hold peak and 131k in average mode
                  On board tactile push buttons to reduce cost and wiring
                  Two sensor (double face) probe with storable calibration (sensivity value from 0.250 to 6.000 mV/gauss) and polarity for each one
                  Auto zero set at start-up and at sensor change... + zero set button
                  Lcd backlight button

Check the link above. I hope it helps
                  Cheers
                  Andrew

Comment

Here's the link to the elepro attachment that lists the various sensors.
                    https://music-electronics-forum.com/...4&d=1513847570
                    T
                    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                    Terry

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52350[/ATTACH]
                      To me the range up to 1640G would be fine. My spin doctor has a range of 1700G and it works with all PU measurements. I chose the lower range version, as it provides better resolution at lower fields.
                      The range would be to low for direct measurements at stronger ceramic and neo magnet pole faces. But what matters to the strings is the field strength at the top of the PU poles.
                      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I agree with Helmholtz that there is no need to change the sensor. It would mean loosing precision of the measurements. However, if there is a demand to do it, I can easily change the range of the meter either to 3280, or 6560, or even to 13120 simply by changing the Hall sensor (to a different type than AD22151) and changing one constant in the program. But changing the sensor to AD22151 would require a redesign of the PC board and most probably big changes in the program (which I want to avoid).

Mark

Comment

Here's some readings of bar magnets.
                          https://music-electronics-forum.com/...gauss+readings
                          Your limits should be fine, unless you get into measuring some NEOs.
                          Some A5 rod magnets will measure way over 1000, at full charge.
                          If you do a search on gauss readings, there are lots of other threads out there on the subject.
                          GL,
                          T
                          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                          Terry

Comment

Thanks,

It looks like there may be problems with A9 magnet. But in this case I may change the Hall sensor and get the range up to 3280 (with slightly lower precision).
                            The pickups that I tested until now were in a range of 500-700 Gs.

Mark

Comment

This is the latest version of the meter (next to the prototype). I still have to buy the OLED display and program the meter (with the latest version of the software). It will take about two weeks to do.

Name:	GM_09.jpg
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	853026

Comment

This is the latest version of the meter (next to the prototype). I still have to buy the OLED display and program the meter (with the latest version of the software). It will take about two weeks to do.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52453[/ATTACH]
                                Looking good especially with new narrower tip.
                                I have a Spin Doctor ER which will measure powerful N52 neo's no problem, but an accurate reading up to say 3000G would be fine for pickup work.
                                Please let me know when you are in production after prototyping as I would like a backup for my Spin Doctor.
                                Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X