Need help with Pevey vt series 240T amp trouble shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with Pevey vt series 240T amp trouble shooting

I have a Pevey vt series 240T amp that the effects channel went out. Only the clean input works but it is clean, clear and loud. The reverb is supposed to work on the clean channel and it also does not work. I am not sure about the phase circuit, but it also does nothing. The channel lights on the front change with the foot switch like they should but the mix or the two effects inputs are quiet. The tubes have been changed, but I think this is in the preamp circuit.
    HELP...
    Les

None of my reply's have shown up, waiting for review by monitor. the auto mix works only the clean side in both clean and combined. No effects at all on clean and no sound on effects channel. How do I ger reply's approved ???

https://www.thetubestore.com/lib/the...-Schematic.pdf
    Last edited by drummer125; 08-21-2018, 09:33 PM. Reason: Change of info. not able to reply

Welcome to the place!

You'll get a quicker response if you post a schematic or schematic link.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by drummer125 View Post
      I have a Pevey vt series 240T amp that the effects channel went out. Only the clean input works but it is clean, clear and loud. The reverb is supposed to work on the clean channel and it also does not work. I am not sure about the phase circuit, but it also does nothing. The channel lights on the front change with the foot switch like they should but the mix or the two effects inputs are quiet. The tubes have been changed, but I think this is in the preamp circuit.
      HELP...
      Les
      What if you plug your guitar into the automix jack do the effects work now?

nosaj

schematic
      https://www.thetubestore.com/lib/the...-Schematic.pdf
      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

No. I tried all 4 inputs and the clean is the only one that works. I now have 5 Deuce schematics and I am not sure which is right.

Comment

I was wrong ! Automix works on clean side and clean side plays on the combined, but no reverb or phase. Switch to effects and no sound. Now if monitor will post this, I tried to respond last night but it had to be approved before posting. I hope It is approved today...

Says Deuce VT series on front and 240T on back. Thank you for responding. Monitor must review again. Amp is not apart yet...
          Last edited by drummer125; 08-22-2018, 12:44 AM. Reason: Change of info. not able to reply

Comment

Originally posted by drummer125 View Post
            No. I tried all 4 inputs and the clean is the only one that works. I now have 5 Deuce schematics and I am not sure which is right.
            Look at the pc boards you should see a number on one of them.

Nosaj
            soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

You didn't specify at first, but you have a Deuce VT, right? I don't know from five schematics, but Mace/Deuce without the VT are the early ones, series A and series B. Neither of those is the VT, so discount any non VT schematic. (Mace and Deuce are the same amp, just slight different power amp.) A Deuce II is not a Deuce VT either. Deuce II, Deuce A, and Deuce B do not have AUTOMIX inputs, so as far as I know there is only one Deuce VT schematic.

Get your channels going right, then worry about reverb and phase later.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Amp has Deuce VT series on front and 240T on back. It is not apart yet but soon.

Comment

Here is the VT schematic: peavey-mace-deuce-vt.zip

Comment

I just picked up a salvage title Deuce VT Series 240T. The former owner asked me if I want to see what it does. I was thinking maybe I would hear some hum, crackling etc. Instead, he turns the amp on and I immediately see a flashing light show coming off one of the tubes. I told him to shut it down. So when I got in there and looked at the back, the speakers were not connected and a tube was lit up beyond belief. And it is always a bad sign when someone says "I had to put some aluminum around the fuse to try and get this amp to do something!!.

Anyway... I believe the schematic for the VT series is nearly identical to the 240T. The problem is the main board layout is different. The big hint? Two of the 100 ohm resistors are mounted on the main board where most pc board diagrams show them on the tube output board. So if I ever come across the correct layout diagram, I will post it here.

The other thing that is confusing (and I am sure there are others who have the same question) is the output jacks. The main is labeled as 8 ohms. The Aux is labeled as 4 ohms. This amp has two old Square Back speakers - I "assume" these are originals. The number stamp is 128386, 67-8010. The speakers are wired in parallel with a total of 3.3 ohm dc resistance. So if these are original, it seems odd that the "Main" output would show 8 ohms. So I guess you simply plug them into the Aux jack.

For now, initial tests show the amp is putting out B+, I see heater voltage, Plus and Minus 15 volts, and a quick DC resistance test of the Output Transformer shows it is alive. One of the screen resistors is open so I will need to replace that. I will also look at the Grid resistors tomorrow. So I guess there is hope for this amp. The goal is to do an initial test to see if I can get a signal at the PreAmp out, Line Out, and eventually the speakers. After that, I will debate on what other updates to do.

If I need help or find anything of interest, I will open a new thread.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Output Connections.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	946740

Comment

Hi Tom, you know the deal, start a new thread for this one, rather than rea end a several year old one about someone else's amp.

Deuce/Mace VT schematic ought to work.

In the Deuce, only two of the power tubes have the 100 ohm screen resistor. Not sure how they could have screen resistors over on the main board.

Sure those speakers are not just 12838? That is a common Peavey type. 12 inch, 8 ohm, 38 ounce magnet. Hence 12838. The more powerful Mace version used 12854 speakers - larger magnet. (Either model could also have come with Scorpion or Black Widow as premium speakers)

Oh wait, I bet 12838G G, not 6. Yes? G for guitar voiced. They also made some with a PA post letter, PA for PA system.

The jacks? You can plug into the AUX, or really just use the main jack, it won't hurt the amp.
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                      X