Deoxit D5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
    But, I haven't yet come up with a solution that you can spray into the shaft/bushing interface to restore the original viscosity. So, I too would love a solution to that. I've tried spraying DuPont's Teflon/Silicon lubricant into that joint, but have never been satisfied with the results. I haven't yet tried to heat some of the bearing grease to turn it into a liquid and try and seep it into the pot shaft/bushing joint, then exercise the shaft until it feels better. When it cools, you'd have a greased bushing. Maybe. That's as far as my thinking carries me this morning.
    I have a can of spray called 'fluid-film' that sets up pretty thick. I haven't tried it for this application but I have a feeling it would work.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Fluid-Film. Interesting product.

https://www.fluid-film.com/products/...-aerosol-bulk/

Of course, not all pots' shaft to bushing mechanics are the same. Some have the same diameter shaft all the way from the exposed end on thru the bushing, others are pressed onto a smaller OD shaft that passes thru the bushing, etc. I suppose some shrink tubing applied over the bushing to contain the aerosol lubricant would help getting it into the tight-fitting space between shaft & bushing. Worth a try. Thanks!
      Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
        "Less is more" is pretty hard to do with these new "improved" dumbassed fire hose DeOxit spray cans. I often spray more than I intended to, even with their add on reduction tip.
        Agreed! Caig seems to have forgotten their own advice when Cramolin in freon solvent/pressurizer went away early 90's and was replaced by D5 and F5.

For a couple decades a small cup was handily provided with each can, a plastic cap about 1 ounce capacity atop the spray nozzle to keep it from getting damaged in shipment. I guess that item went away with the new fancy-Dan hi tech spray mechanism, an "improvement" that's screaming to be scrapped. So... any old thing will do, shot glass, medicine cup, whatever's handy.

For a brief time in the early 80's there was a gadget marketed to studios that allowed the application of cleaner sprays to pots via the shaft bushing, as long as it was the standard 3/8 inch threaded bushing. I suppose the same item could be used to apply nevets' fluid film spray directly to where it's needed. That is, if that gadget is still available somewhere. Those with machine-shop chops could probably spin up their own version without too much trouble, and be able to accommodate a variety of bushing threads besides. I could also see a hypo needle being used for precise pot cleaning & shaft/bushing treatment.
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

For a brief time in the early 80's there was a gadget marketed to studios that allowed the application of cleaner sprays to pots via the shaft bushing, as long as it was the standard 3/8 inch threaded bushing. I suppose the same item could be used to apply nevets' fluid film spray directly to where it's needed. That is, if that gadget is still available somewhere. Those with machine-shop chops could probably spin up their own version without too much trouble, and be able to accommodate a variety of bushing threads besides.
          This method is guaranteed to remove lubrication grease from the bushing and deposit at least some of it on the carbon trace. The grease will collect dust over time, making the pot scratchy again.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
            This method is guaranteed to remove lubrication grease from the bushing and deposit at least some of it on the carbon trace. The grease will collect dust over time, making the pot scratchy again.
            Yeh, I figured. That's why I didn't spring for that gadget 35 years ago. Scratchy pots, that's how we get those authentic funky sounding mixes... Try to replicate THAT digitally! I'm sure somebody has. OTOH if grease could be forced through such a device, could be a solution to restoring pots to their original "feel." Feh, enough faffing around with grease & gadgets. Get a big bag 'o felt washers, install where necessary and all will be right with the world.
            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
              For a brief time in the early 80's there was a gadget marketed to studios that allowed the application of cleaner sprays to pots via the shaft bushing, as long as it was the standard 3/8 inch threaded bushing. I suppose the same item could be used to apply nevets' fluid film spray directly to where it's needed. That is, if that gadget is still available somewhere. Those with machine-shop chops could probably spin up their own version without too much trouble, and be able to accommodate a variety of bushing threads besides. I could also see a hypo needle being used for precise pot cleaning & shaft/bushing treatment.
              I think that Stew-Mac still sells that kind of thing. The threaded cap from a Switchcraft RCA plug is threaded the same as the standard pot bushing. So you can always use one of them to try out the technique.

Comment

Fluid-Film. Interesting product.

https://www.fluid-film.com/products/...-aerosol-bulk/

Of course, not all pots' shaft to bushing mechanics are the same. Some have the same diameter shaft all the way from the exposed end on thru the bushing, others are pressed onto a smaller OD shaft that passes thru the bushing, etc. I suppose some shrink tubing applied over the bushing to contain the aerosol lubricant would help getting it into the tight-fitting space between shaft & bushing. Worth a try. Thanks!
                You don't want wax in yout pots. It is not a deoxidizer either.
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
                  I think that Stew-Mac still sells that kind of thing. The threaded cap from a Switchcraft RCA plug is threaded the same as the standard pot bushing. So you can always use one of them to try out the technique.
                  This one: https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool...aning_Cap.html

You don't want wax in yout pots. It is not a deoxidizer either.
                  There are 2 separate discussions going on here, one is about cleaning the carbon tracks, the second about restoring the bushing grease.
                  I was not suggesting wax "in" the pots, rather that the fluid film could possibly get in the bushing (only) without removing and disassembling the pot. I don't think wax in the bushing would be any worse than grease?
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Sorry, but how could you prevent a "fluid" from creeping and spreading inside?
                    The only remedy I see is disassemble the pot and apply a thick, high viscosity silicon grease to the bushing only. The grease needs to be sticky. Don't think wool wax would do.

Or use felt washers.
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

A friend who works at a shop gave me this MAX PRO bottle once. It was awesome.

It made me instantly want to ditch Deoxit, and that was BEFORE their nozzle "improvement"

Last Deoxit bottle I had was leaking all over from the spout of the nozzle (right by where it attaches to the can) so probably half my bottle was wasted just dripping all over everything while I oversprayed a bunch of deoxit (couldn't control it well enough to only spray a little) all over the pots I was cleaning.

What do the lube pros think of this stuff ?
                      https://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/A...icant-11oz-Can

Comment

What do the lube pros think of this stuff ?
                        https://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/A...icant-11oz-Can
                        Don't know this stuff.
                        But it alway depends if you want to lubricate (e.g. Fader Lube) or clean without residue (Tuner Spray) or de-oxidize old contacts (Deoxit).
                        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I really lubed up a conversation there didnt I?

Comment

Using the Spray version of Deoxit D5 can indeed cause that. I will normally remove/lift out the panel PCB, unsolder the pots carefully and either pry off the cover, and brush on the liquid version of Deoxit onto the resistive track & wiper wring mechanics so I don't upset the viscosity of the pot shaft/bushing. On pots that have the bushing assembly that will come off, I've been using Red bearing grease, applied with a shaved end of a wooden Q-tip. But, I haven't yet come up with a solution that you can spray into the shaft/bushing interface to restore the original viscosity. So, I too would love a solution to that. I've tried spraying DuPont's Teflon/Silicon lubricant into that joint, but have never been satisfied with the results. I haven't yet tried to heat some of the bearing grease to turn it into a liquid and try and seep it into the pot shaft/bushing joint, then exercise the shaft until it feels better. When it cools, you'd have a greased bushing. Maybe. That's as far as my thinking carries me this morning.
                            Now that's the kind of obsessive repair protocol that I can get behind. I mean, that is over the top my friend.... going around raising the bar like that. Well, I see you have thrown down the gauntlet.
                            I did have a thought while reading this, though. I've been wondering about how to treat this issue with rotary pots as well. I like the Red bearing grease for a lot of applications, but seems a bit too heavy here. I love Boeshield T9 and think nothings better for lubricating drill/lathe chucks, electrical motors, and other tooling applications. I've tried using it for this, but I don't think that is well suited for this either. It isn't viscous enough to give it a smooth torque feel.
                            I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier, but I wonder if a quality reel grease would work well in this application. Over the winter, I rebuilt two baitcasting reels and found some great high end lube and grease. The results were fantastic. I'll check out what it was I used, but that just might work. (I didn't plan on rebuilding them, it was supposed to be a quick cleaning....)
                            If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Well, I guess they use greases of different viscosities. If you look at the assembly there isn't much more you could do to control torque.
                              ^^^^Yes, that is how it's done.
                              Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Honestly..I just use the D5... sparingly. If there's an issue with the pot being too loose I put a felt pad behind the knob. We had a discussion about it a while back. I do it on guitars a lot. StewMac sells them cheap. Guitar pots tend to get cleaned more. I change guitar a lot quickly on stage. You want the pots to be where you left them if possible... especially if your drummer forgets you have a guitar change and starts an intro.. (f@@ker.. happens at least once a gig). The only time I take pots apart is to have the correct date code on the case or if it is unobtainable.

Comment

Working...
                                X