Power Transformer lights up dim bulb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Transformer lights up dim bulb

I haven't been doing this long enough to have seen something like this yet but I am still curious as to the failure. Thoughts on this? Transformer ohms out as such:
    Pri: 5.5 ohm
    Sec: 256 ohm
    Fil: .5 ohm
    This is from a Epi Elektar reissue. Transformer is a wuxi juke??
    Result =
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20180822_205930.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.89 MB
ID:	873915

Have you checked for shorts between windings? Maybe primary to secondary is shorted or one secondary winding to another. Since you already have it hooked up, what voltages do you get out of the secondary? If the bulb is bright, I'm guessing there is a short somewhere. Of course, watch your fingers!
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

give this a shot::https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...ormer-tester-1

Comment

That's what threw me at first. Everything appears to ohm out okay and no shorts between windings or to the transformer chassis, but sure enough it lights up that 100W bulb like christmas. I did a quick voltage measurement with it on the dim bulb and the secondary was 1.5V and the filament around 500mv. Do you think it is safe to take measurements off of the dim bulb? I've never been down this road and don't really want to see one of these melt down in front me.

Comment

Interesting test with the neon bulb. Will need to find me a bulb but will try it out.

Comment

Do not attempt to power up that transformer without the limiter..
            If you do, fuse the mains line.

The transformer is bad if it illuminates a 100 watt lamp like that.

Comment

Your meter can only do the grossest of tests. Would you know if that 256 ohms ought to be 258 ohms? No. Windings rarely short end to end, but turn to turn is way more common, and your meter would never know. Also failed insulation in the windings could allow an arc to form at voltage, but your meter only uses a volt or two, so it never shows up in tests.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I would feed heater voltage from another amp to the heater winding of the PT and measure voltage across primary.
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                X