Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mercury Magnetic JTM45-RI-P won’t fit.... Help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone. I took Chuck's advice and drilled out some holes at the corners of the punch out. Used some large washers and it works. Hope to get a custom made bracket at some point to tidy it up but for now it works. thanks again.

Comment

Cool! The washers were actually mac's idea first, then Dude suggested it. No matter. Now that you've done it I'm sure you can see that there is an unsupported end on each washer. It they don't have enough footprint on the chassis and want to take an angle you could just bridge the hollow with something like thick rubber gasket material. Something a little thicker than the gap I would think. Probably no other advantage to a custom plate or bracket than appearances.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Bloomfield's idea from post #20 would also help deal with that issue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	strap.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	851481
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Thanks everyone. I wish I had a machine shop. Life would be so much easier. I could make my own brackets, chassis or whatever, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by cluster View Post
            Thanks everyone. I wish I had a machine shop. Life would be so much easier. I could make my own brackets, chassis or whatever, etc...
            preaching to the choir brother cluster.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
              The JTM45 reissue chassis I looked at actually do have the PT mounted 45* rotated compared to the originals. I've never heard one so I can't say if they hum.
              When saying "I have never seen an exception to the rule I gave above", I meant that crossing the magnetic axes always resulted in less hum compared to parallel axes.
              This might not prevent manufacturers from doing things wrong, though. Do you have a picture of the JTM-RI chassis? The orientations of the coilformers are not always obvious.
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Here. I notice the OT is turned 45* as well. Though I'm not sure that helps when the PT is not mounted upright.?.

Attached Files

Comment

Here. I notice the OT is turned 45* as well. Though I'm not sure that helps when the PT is not mounted upright.?.

Thanks.
                  Magnetic axes are at right angles as desirable.
                  You surely mean 90°.
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

The OT was rotated 90 degrees as well.

Comment

For what it's worth, no Mercury replacement transformer I have ever installed has been a "drop in" replacement. Every one involved some sort of extra horseshit to make it fit. Which, whatever, I have the tools to do the metal work and even enjoy it. But, Mercury advertises replacement parts designed for a particular model of amplifier to the end consumer. So, when you run into an issue like the OP did, what could have been a relatively cheap and easy job for the customer, turns into a much larger bill in labor charges.
                      If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

In the interest of fairness, i thought I would mention that I had to swap out a faulty power transformer in an Egnater renegade yesterday. Customer wanted to go with a Mercury because this was the second Egnater PT which had failed in the amp. Mercury went i easy and fit like a charm, well, in that I was able to find enough clearance to use the original hardware without having to turn on my drill.
                        So, that’s a big win this time.
                        If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Working...
                        X