Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mercury Magnetic JTM45-RI-P won’t fit.... Help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercury Magnetic JTM45-RI-P won’t fit.... Help.

Hello everyone, got a situation here. I ordered a chassis for a jt45 build. I was going to use my Mercury Magnetics Axiom jtm45-ri-p Power Transformer (center to center 2-1/2 x 3-1/8”) but it’s too small. The holes on the chassis are 2-78 by 3-5/8 which I believe is the metro-amp standard chassis size. So my questions are: what gives?? Is this PT special? Can anyone recommend a chassis that would fit or do I have to do a custom chassis order for this PT? Thanks.

Can you just drill new holes? The transformer is upright or the laydown style?

https://reverb.com/item/13212544-mar...w-iec-knockout

this person can make a custom chassis for you but not sure if you need it all predrilled and pre cut

Comment

re-issue transformers are not always the same size as the originals. I suppose the metro is using the original size PT.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

But, whatever else Mercury does, they usually clone accurate for mounting from what I've read. So the RI must use a different size transformer than an original, which is likely what the Metro chassis is cut for.

It's a clone, not an original. Even boutiquey type amps often have odd cutouts and plugs for correction. Drill new holes or, if necessary, add a mounting plate or something. I don't think it's great shakes unless you're OCD over it.?.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Are the dimensions cut out size or location of the holes?. Anyway If your xformer is smaller, see if you can make it work using Fender Washers.

Comment

got any photos you can post of the transformer and chassis?
            The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Some info anyway. Didn't think they had these all online.

http://mercurymagnetics.com/images/p...JTM45-RI-P.pdf
              The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Thanks to everyone. I will post some pictures when I get to my desktop computer. iOS forum doesn’t have an option to upload images. Transformer is a tad too small, so drilling new holes in not an option. I’ll probably re-use this chassis for a proper sized PT. In the meantime I’m going to call MM to ask what they where thinking when they made this particular model.

Comment

Originally posted by cluster View Post
                  In the meantime I’m going to call MM to ask what they where thinking when they made this particular model.
                  It is meant to fit the re-issue. I don't think the vintage size one will fit the re-ish.
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Why make enemies when you may be in the wrong.?.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

I'm finding it hard to believe that you couldn't make it work. Maybe some drilling, maybe a trip to the hardware store for washers, etc. Looking at your numbers in the first post and the datasheet Mike so graciously posted, the transformer should cover the holes in the chassis. Nobody would see any "adapting" you'd have to do internally in order to securely mount it.
                      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

here are my pictures...
                        Attached Files

Comment

Round into the corners of the cutout and use an unsecured adapter plate inside. Sort of sandwich the chassis between the transformer and the plate. You'll need to make the plate, of course. Shouldn't be too hard if you have the tools.

Comment

This is what I'm thinking.

Attached Files

Comment

I like Chuck H's idea!
                              Usually, I'm going the other way, and draw the size hole I want on the chassis, and get a friend with a mill to open it up for me. I'm currently building a Bassman 10, using the iron from a re-issue Twin!

Comment

Working...
                              X