"New" vintage style 1/4 inch jacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
    The weakpoint of Switchcraft type jacks is that they have no defined ground contact point and pressure even though there is a lot of of area. It is easy to measure a contact resistance of 0.5 Ohms or more. If the total contact resistance (including the cabinet jack) could be reduced by 0.8 Ohms , this would increase available output power by 10% @ 8Ohms.
    Of course the result will depend on the contact material's quality (the best being phosphor bronze)/strength of the new jack.
    That's what match book covers are for. (low tech 'back in the day' repair jobs)
    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

It seems to me the pictures are all the stereo version - the ground contact is still the cylinder the jack is inserted through, so only the 'hot' contacts are doubled. I'd guess the ground contact (on both these and the stock Switchcrafts) are larger that the hot contacts -- as long as the jack and plug fit snugly together!

Comment

If that is the case, then using a mono plug will still have the ring contacts acting as ground contacts and give extra surface area for the ground.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

its an interesting design, seems like the sound of two hands clapping vs one (?) Better to pinch than slap??

The SM review (and the photos) say the stereo jack, for some reason has a markedly shorter threaded barrel than the mono unit, which seems dumb.

Maybe some bean counter wanted the same amount of metal used in each?

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
            The SM review (and the photos) say the stereo jack, for some reason has a markedly shorter threaded barrel than the mono unit, which seems dumb.
            Interesting. The insulators look far thinner as well.
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
              Gold plated option only a buck more. Well that's not an awful huge markup for gold.
              But Monsieur, eetz wafar theen.

"Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
              X