Fender Deluxe 112 sound drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Deluxe 112 sound drop

I have a Fender Deluxe 112 amp (purchased around 1995). The sound is still great, but the sound tends to drop when I move the volume knob above 2 (only in drive channel). If I fiddle with it I can get the sound back, but it's not reliable. Can this be fixed? A guy at a guitar store said these types of amps can't be fixed too easily because they are all electronic (no tube).

Also - and this may be kind of dumb - but can I open the amp up safely to access the circuit board if I unplug it? There is a label on the back saying "risk of electric shock do not open".

Thanks,
    A

Yes you can open it up after you unplug it. The capacitors in solid state amps discharge fairly quick.
    The volume pot probably just needs a shot of control cleaner.
    I can't recall for this model if the circuit board for the controls has to be removed to access the volume pot. The pot will have a little slot cut in it where you can spray some control cleaner into.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Awesome, thanks man. I'll give it a try!

Comment

I love when some dude says solid state amps can't be fixed too easily. If it's a dirty pot it doesn't matter if it's tube or transistors.
        When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Anyone who says solid state amps are hard to fix because there are no tubes, probably doesn't know much about repairing anything. Troubleshooting is troubleshooting.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Well, I guess you can say they're not easily fixed by sales guys at guitar stores.
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
            X