Multivox Premier 120 Tremolo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multivox Premier 120 Tremolo

I've worked on a couple of Premier 120 amps and have one in the shop right now. It's from ~1954, the version with 12AX7s rather than 6SL7s.

I saw a video online where someone was adjusting the tremolo speed on a Premier 120 in the same cabinet, but this amp I'm looking at only has a rotary tremolo on-off switch on the main control panel with no speed control.

Does anyone know much about the evolution of the 120 and its features?

I have one of these, but have to dig it out. Premier's can have any number of schematics for the same model number. Pretty sure mine has the 12ax7's and a fairly long tag board inside.

Comment

Ok, mine has what you call a TV front. 4-12ax7's (one may be a 12at7, telefunkens, printing is gone) 2-6v6 and 5y3. Serial # is 214xxx. Gold Jensen speaker dated 1962 , syntox-6 c12rc which i am 50% sure is not original so without pulling it apart i can't say what year the amp was made. Tremolo has 2 controls, one labeled "-->IN" and the other labeled "-->FAST", so i take that as depth and speed. No tremolo on-off on pots, just a tremolo footswitch jack on top next to the pots.

Let me dig through my schematics, my other model Premier B160 i have found 3 or 4 different ones. By the way, these cabinets are particle board junk. Last one i moved to a tweed deluxe cabinet, took 4 mounting screws instead of 2, otherwise it was almost a exact fit. This model 120 has 4 input jacks just like a tweed deluxe and i suspect the dimensions are very close once again.

I am seeing all different cabinets, all called MODEL 120. TV front with raised upper portion. 4 knobs, TV front with regular cabinet, other ones have chassis on the bottom.
      Last edited by mozz; 09-07-2018, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Multivox churned out a bunch of different versions of the 120.

It's common to have a 12AX7 V1, grid-leak biased. V2 and V3 are a 12AX7 and 12AT7 that work together as the tremolo circuit. V4 is a 12AX7 phase inverter driving a pair of 6V6s with a 5Y3 rectifier.

Likely original 12" speaker is a "Best" brand speaker dated 1951.

There was another presumably earlier version that used 2 6SL7s and 1 6SC7 instead of three 12AX7s.

Comment

Working...
        X