What cleans thermal grease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What cleans thermal grease?

When ever I work on an amp with an abundance of white thermal grease I end up smearing it everywhere. What product cleans up thermal grease? Thanks.

Alcohol and a Qtip generally works for me. I used to have a degreaser made for vending equipment, but that has not been sold in decades. (I bought a case back when). Electronics degreasers should work though.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks I will give it a try. FYI, I usually use Simple Green to clean items, but it does not work.

Comment

ha, we had one whacky co worker who would be covered in that stuff!

yes, denatured alcohol and a rag/paper towel works fine.

Comment

I don't know what it is with the white thermal grease. It's almost like it's alive, sees you coming, and before you even touch anything, it's already leaped upon you, gets onto your wool Pendleton shirt, etc. Been using it for years, and yes, denatured alcohol, Q-tips & Kemwipes is the usual clean-up, though it takes more scrubbing of your hands in the bathroom before it's all gone.

We used to buy the Dow Corning 340 grease in large green cans, with it stored out in production. Our assembly ladies just hated that stuff, since the can was already covered in grease so they'd be assulted by the stuff just getting their small allotment for the day's production.
          Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Agree^^^

I know I am not finished working on something until I have white grease all over me.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              Agree^^^

I know I am not finished working on something until I have white grease all over me.
              You, the wife, the cat, the bed sheets, the bath towels, your favorite shirt, your neighbor's favorite shirt.........

Comment

Well i tend to use Flux remover or Isopropyl alcohol to get the stuff off.. I hate the stuff
                but what i hate more is Rubber belts that turn to black tar/treacle .
                Thankfully i don't get tape decks etc in very often
                BBB

Comment

95% ethyl alcohol the universal solvent, after water. Can be found in US booze stores as Everclear. Some stores have the Polish version Polmos "Spirytus Rektyfikowani." A whole lot of dissolving power cheap, for about $20 / 750 mL. Use with care, it's flammable. Smells like the stuff your doctor or nurse wipes on your arm - or butt - just before a shot. A splash of that, a paper towel or two, handful of Q-tips in USA - cotton buds elsewhere - and you can get your heat sinks etc squeaky clean in a jiffy. Works great on magnetic tape heads & other tape path items as well. I keep a little squeeze bottle ready to hand on the workbench. Also good for removing "permanent" marker plus some other inks, glue residues and mystery crud. Use with plenty of ventilation, you don't want to get zonked off the fumes. Right? Right!
                  This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Last I heard Everclear's illegal for sale in VA... Justcan FYI. Maybe they changed that. Rum 151, OTOH, is legal. But I imagine that leaves cleaning problems of its own.

Justin
                    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Isopropyl always worked for me, and it is in any drug store for a buck and a half a pint.

Comment

True, but "one for you, one for me" won't work with isopropyl...

Jusrin
                        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Hmmm...

Well at this moment I am enjoying a double shot of vodka with limeade and a little OJ. Seems to be working.

Comment

And vodka =/= isopropyl. But if using everclear...

Jusrin

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                              Hmmm...

Well at this moment I am enjoying a double shot of vodka with limeade and a little OJ. Seems to be working.
                              Yep. Drinking the alcohol won't solve your thermal grease problem, but if you drink enough, you won't care anymore.
                              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
                              X