power switch rating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power switch rating

I had a Italian made Pathos Classic home stereo power amp in today. It wouldn't power up, and the guy suspected the power switch. He was right. It was a mini toggle switch like you'd find on a guitar guard or a pedal. I had one in house, and he really wanted it done today, so I installed it. He was very pleased.

I have to admit it did not occur to me to compare ratings until after he left. The one I pulled out is 6 amps @ 125v, 3 amps@220v. The one I put in is 3 amps @125v and 1 amp@220v. There are no signs the old one burned, or that the amp killed it, it just looks like a little switch that failed. But, now I am wondering if I goofed by putting in an underrated switch. Should I expect to see him again?

BTW, it has a 2 amp mains fuse, and a time delayed relay.
    Last edited by Randall; 09-07-2018, 01:43 AM.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

I hate discovering that sort of thing, after-the-fact. But, consider it's normal operating life. Home stereo....with a 2A mains fuse in the unit, it's not likely it would be pulling anywhere near that current in normal operation. Just guessing the nominal idle current of the unit is around 1/2 amp or less. Maybe.....maybe with the level turned up well above what you can talk over, you're pulling around 1A, maybe 1.4A on peaks. Probably much less. I'm thinking you're probably ok.
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Happens to us all. I can think of a time I fixed an amp for someone, sent him off into the world with it. Worked fine, seemed no excess noise. Then the next day I discover next to my bench a metal shield plate and a jar of screws. The input stages were to have been shielded, but I left it out. Oh well, I didn't hear any new hum.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
      X