Power cord conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power cord conversion

Question......when replacing the 2 prong power cord with a 3 prong one on an old Kustom Bass amp.....can I just cut out the death cap, and replace the cord and connect the live and neutral to the original connections and ground the Green wire to the chassis????.....The power switch is the type that is center off and either right or left positions on...and depending on which position it is in, that is the side that our death cap is connected to.......Does this switch also need to be replaced???
    Cheers

The two way power switch is a polarity switch. After removing the death cap you REALLY don't want the option. You don't need to replace the switch, just one selection off center won't do anything and the other will actually turn the amp on. Make sure the hot lead is the one that goes through the switch and the mains fuse. The neutral would be wired direct to the PT. Green AC cord lead bolted to the chassis. Ideally with the addition of some anti oxide grease and a tooth washer.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by bsco View Post
      ...The power switch is the type that is center off and either right or left positions on...and depending on which position it is in, that is the side that our death cap is connected to.......Does this switch also need to be replaced?...
      My old Kustom schematics show that once the "death cap" is removed there is no path to ground for either side of the power line for either ON position of the power switch. In that case, all the ON-OFF-ON power switch would be doing is selecting the phase of the power applied to the power transformer primary. Therefore, I don't see any issue with leaving the power switch stock when you do your power cord conversion with "death cap" removal.

This all assumes that the circuit is stock. If you will tell us the model number of the old Kustom amp then we can check the exact schematic for final verification.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
        My old Kustom schematics show that once the "death cap" is removed there is no path to ground for either side of the power line for either ON position of the power switch. In that case, all the ON-OFF-ON power switch would be doing is selecting the phase of the power applied to the power transformer primary. Therefore, I don't see any issue with leaving the power switch stock when you do your power cord conversion with "death cap" removal.

This all assumes that the circuit is stock. If you will tell us the model number of the old Kustom amp then we can check the exact schematic for final verification.
        Thanks Tom..The model on the rear plate is a name......CHARGER.......hope this helps....
        Cheers

Comment

This may help.
          Attached Files

Comment

I found some information that indicates that the Kustom Charger used the PC5033 power amp. Copy attached. The power amp drawing includes the power supply but the one I found does not show a death cap at all. In addition it shows a box labeled TB1 to depict the ON-OFF switch so we can't see the wiring details. Go figure?
            There may be other versions of the drawing. You could check for the PC number actually used in your amp. It would be interesting to know. Otherwise, I would just buzz out the wiring and verify that the output connections from the power switch are direct to the PT primary and nowhere else. Would be interesting to post pictures if you can.
            PC5033 Power Amp.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Axtman View Post
              This may help.
              This one only has the one switch.....it does not have the power and ground switch separate...But I will copy what you attached as it will come in handy for doing the Fender style set-up....
              Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
                I found some information that indicates that the Kustom Charger used the PC5033 power amp. Copy attached. The power amp drawing includes the power supply but the one I found does not show a death cap at all. In addition it shows a box labeled TB1 to depict the ON-OFF switch so we can't see the wiring details. Go figure?
                There may be other versions of the drawing. You could check for the PC number actually used in your amp. It would be interesting to know. Otherwise, I would just buzz out the wiring and verify that the output connections from the power switch are direct to the PT primary and nowhere else. Would be interesting to post pictures if you can.
                [ATTACH]50377[/ATTACH]
                Ok. I'll check it out and get back to you......
                Cheers

Comment

"Green AC cord lead bolted to the chassis. Ideally with the addition of some anti oxide grease and a tooth washer."

I used to do it that way, but now I solder the green wire directly to the chassis. That way you do not stand a chance of losing your safety ground if your nut comes loose.
                  It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

I don't believe solder (solder only? not soldered eyelet, soldered to a bolt, soldered to the chassis?) is accepted practice. But I don't believe very much...
                    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
                      "Green AC cord lead bolted to the chassis. Ideally with the addition of some anti oxide grease and a tooth washer."

I used to do it that way, but now I solder the green wire directly to the chassis. That way you do not stand a chance of losing your safety ground if your nut comes loose.
                      Easier practice I use is to drop some nail polish on the threads and nuts( locks the nut but will easily break with a little twist., i use a specific color I also use it for call backs to see if the polish has been broken.

nosaj
                      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

I put in a dedicated bolt with a locking terminal, put a nut on it, put another nut on top of that, then solder the nuts to the bolt...
                        Overkill? Probably, but I can't cover the lawsuits.

*** No, I will not drill a hole in your vintage amp. This is only for the ones I build or that already have been drilled.

Justin
                        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

My UL standards are tucked away in storage, but as I recall, the AC mains grounding wire is fitted with a round crimp lug, and mounted to a dedicated chassis grounding screw, which is masked during plating or painting. An EXT Tooth lock washer at the bottom next to the chassis, the grounding wire lug, a flat washer and then the locking nut (keps nut or hex nut with an Ext Tooth washer). I think they also allow Pem Stud in place of the grounding screw. NOTHING else is attached to this grounding screw.
                          Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
                            I don't believe solder (solder only? not soldered eyelet, soldered to a bolt, soldered to the chassis?) is accepted practice. But I don't believe very much...
                            The last version of the UL safety regulations concerning "commercial audio visual equipment" considered soldering an acceptable way to bond the chassis to the earthed conductor, however, they required that the green(yellow-green in Europe/Britain) wire have have it's own dedicated, additional strain relief to keep the wire from vibrating or moving. This is a wise practice anyways because a proper solder connection is a very reliable mechanical and electrical connection. The weakness of a solder connection is at the junction of where the wire and solder meet. Any movement in the wire causes stress at this point and there is risk of breaking. Risks increase overtime as oxide builds up on the conductors and wire insulation becomes more brittle.
                            If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                              *** No, I will not drill a hole in your vintage amp.
                              Justin
                              Oh, I will.
                              If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X