No announcement yet.

How close to capacitor voltage rating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tantalum caps can also catch fire and burn with a fury when they short out. I've seen them burn a large hole right through an FR-4 board.

Another little-known fact: Aluminum electrolytics can't be used at high altitudes, because the end seals leak and the caps fail. I do a lot of military avionics designs and can't use anything for bulk holdup capacitance except hideously expensive hermetically-sealed electrolyics, like the CDE MLSH series. Everything else has to be ceramic or film.

Comment

Originally posted by raiken View Post
      Tantalum caps can also catch fire and burn with a fury when they short out. I've seen them burn a large hole right through an FR-4 board.

Another little-known fact: Aluminum electrolytics can't be used at high altitudes, because the end seals leak and the caps fail. I do a lot of military avionics designs and can't use anything for bulk holdup capacitance except hideously expensive hermetically-sealed electrolyics, like the CDE MLSH series. Everything else has to be ceramic or film.
      So if I'm on a jet at high altitude using my laptop and a window gets blown out on the jet, I should expect that my laptop will stop working when the e-caps blow after all the air gets sucked out of the plane? Damn, that sucks!

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by raiken View Post

Yes.... I can also vouch for that.... If Tantalum are used in MIL applications they are 60% derated and a series resistor must be put in place to satisfy 1 ohm per volt requirement....
        No electrolytic cap...yes ..they will fall apart !!! LOL
        One document to check out is MIL-STD-1547B...

Comment

Originally posted by soundmasterg View Post
          So if I'm on a jet at high altitude using my laptop and a window gets blown out on the jet, I should expect that my laptop will stop working when the e-caps blow after all the air gets sucked out of the plane?
          Look on the bright side. You'll stop working before your laptop does.

Comment

You could install a macro to say something, like:

As I lie dying on this flight
            I'll say goodbye now, if I might
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave H View Post
              Look on the bright side. You'll stop working before your laptop does.
              Well I'd be assuming the oxygen mask would drop and I could still breathe, and hopefully the jet wouldn't crash.

Greg

Comment

Working...
              X