Success with Behringer A500 power amp IC1 & IC2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success with Behringer A500 power amp IC1 & IC2

My newly acquired used A500 powers up fine and seems to work nicely for a few minutes of use, but after 10 min or so it's channel 1 seems to distort, then clip, then go into protect mode. I also noticed that the channel 1 side of the amp heats up significantly more than channel 2. If i turn the amp off, for a little while, it seems to work properly again for a while, then does this again. I read in another thread that some one had a similar problem and replaced the IC1 & IC2 with NJR NJM4580E-TE1 from mouser.co , so with my similar problem and these parts being only 50 cents each, I have decided to start with them. Really I am a electrical caveman! I don't have any test equipment and I don't read schematics, I also am not skilled at soldering anything as small as a SMD, but I have located the IC1 & IC2 and have ordered 4 of them. Probably I will just have someone else put them for me (barter system) if I don't feel up to the task. Can anyone advise me of their success with this same issue and or steer me in the right direction?

I would tend to think it is not a "bad part" causing this. I suspect your bias needs adjustment, and maybe that is all it needs.

VR2 and VR5 are the bias adjustments for the two channels. If you lack a meter and the means to use one, tell your friend to set the bias first and see what else the amp might need, if anything.

Overheating channels are a very common issue with all brands and models of amp, and there is no one thing that always causes it, so whatever cures mine may not cure yours.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
    X