Peavey Transtube 112 EFX: No Output and DC on the Speaker Leads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Transtube 112 EFX: No Output and DC on the Speaker Leads

I am working on a Peavey Transtube 112 EFX. It came to me with "a loud hum" but no output.

(I am trying to add as attachments a schematic of the power amp for this amp and a drawing of the pinout for the LM3886, but the files simply will not upload. I'll continue working on it and add them when I can.)

I disconnected the speaker, checked for DC on the speaker leads and measured -39vdc with my red voltmeter probe on the wire that connects to the positive speaker terminal and my black probe on the wire that connects to the negative speaker terminal.

I isolated the problem to the power amp by running the a cable out of the effects send to the power amp in of a known good amp and confirming that everything worked as it should.

This amp uses an LM3886 Audio Power Amplifier for its output.

I traced a signal through the power amp to pin 10 of the LM3886. From there, there is no signal out of the LM3886. I measured voltage on the various pins and got the following readings"

Pin 01: 39.3vdc
    Pin 02: 0.00
    Pin 03: 39.3vdc
    Pin 04: -39.5vdc
    Pin 05: 39.2vdc
    Pin 06: 0.00
    Pin 07: 0.00
    Pin 08: -1.2vdc
    Pin 09: -2.0vdc
    Pin 10: 0.00

Looking at the power supply, I measured + and - 15vdc where the schematic shows it, and + and - 39vdc where the schematic shows + and - 35 volts.

I did not find any obvious damage or failed components, although C119 had a cracked solder joint, which I repaired.

I am looking for suggestions as to where to look next. The voltage measurements on Pins 3, 8, and 9 of the LM3886 look fishy. Does it look like the LM3886 may be bad? How would I test that device?

Does anyone have other suggestions as to what might be wrong here?

Thanks.

If you have a rail voltage at the output of the LM3886 (pin 3) and +&- supply are correct, you almost certainly have a shorted IC. Try a new one.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Beat me to it. A chip amp like LM3886 with DC on the output is almost always just a bad IC.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks, The Dude and Enzo. I will replace it and report back.

Comment

It occurred to me to ask. . . I have 39vdc where the schematic shows 35vdc. Is that "close enough" or should I be concerned?

Comment

Close enough.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks, Enzo.

Comment

To close the loop. . . . I replaced the LM3886 and that fixed the problem. The amp now works as it should. Thanks for your help.

John

Comment

I'm having the same problem with my Peavey 112 efx transtube. I'm looking for either a service manual or schematic, parts list and circuit board layout!
                  Does anyone know where I can obtain this?

Comment

Originally posted by alexisholson View Post
                    I'm having the same problem with my Peavey 112 efx transtube. I'm looking for either a service manual or schematic, parts list and circuit board layout!
                    Does anyone know where I can obtain this?
                    Have you contacted Peavey? It's been over a decade since I contacted them for information but at that time they were very receptive and helpful. More recent reports from other members here indicate this hasn't changed.

https://peavey.com/c/Contact-Us
                    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Well perhaps the 212 EFX transtube is close enough?

PV TRANSTUBE_212_EFX.pdf

TRANSTUBE_212_EFX_pa.pdf
                      When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
                        Well perhaps the 212 EFX transtube is close enough?
                        Thanks Doc, that enabled me to find my 112 schem.
                        attached

Attached Files
                        Originally posted by Enzo
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                        X