Thread: STORM

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 25/0
    Given: 30/0

STORM

Just checking to see if any members are anywhere near this massive storm......I have been watching it on CNN......and it looks very, very bad......It is unreal to see how high the water is rising....Stay safe.......
    Cheers

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 111/0
    Given: 31/0
    Let It Rain.

I am well North of this monster.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 322/1
    Given: 260/0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
    Let It Rain.

I am well North of this monster.
    Me too. We had our big storm 5 years ago Sept 9. 7 to 9 inches of rain from midnight to noon. Building on an adjoining property was condemned that day, floodwater was shooting out the front doors onto Main Street like a couple of firehoses on steroids.

What's goin' on with our correspondents in the Carolinas? How's by you? Got your rain hats & galoshes on? Bail bucket at the ready? Or are you stepping out the second story window into a canoe?

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
    Me too. We had our big storm 5 years ago Sept 9. 7 to 9 inches of rain from midnight to noon. Building on an adjoining property was condemned that day, floodwater was shooting out the front doors onto Main Street like a couple of firehoses on steroids.

What's goin' on with our correspondents in the Carolinas? How's by you? Got your rain hats & galoshes on? Bail bucket at the ready? Or are you stepping out the second story window into a canoe?
    I like the canoe part.....JUst watching it here now on CNN again.......the water is pretty high........especially for being on a parking lot or a main street.....Up where I am we don't get storms like that.....we are too far north maybe??? but the weather patterns are changing.....

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 587/1
    Given: 0/0
    I remember a storm long ago, they went to some reporter on the scene, and she was sitting in a canoe, because main street was all flooded. Unfortunately as she was saying her piece, some fellow wades by behind her and the water is only up to about his ankles. In other words she was in a canoe and the water was barely deep enough to float the boat.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
    I remember a storm long ago, they went to some reporter on the scene, and she was sitting in a canoe, because main street was all flooded. Unfortunately as she was saying her piece, some fellow wades by behind her and the water is only up to about his ankles. In other words she was in a canoe and the water was barely deep enough to float the boat.
    HA! Fake news. I wonder if CNN sets up wind machines and has a guy on a ladder with a water hose when they have Anderson Pooper on scene for these things. Must be fun for the whole production team! Poor Andy, it must muss up his hair something awful. There's a reason they call them "anchors."

Meanwhile other folks have their own special way to deal with inclement weather. Have a look at this, see if you can keep from blowing your dark'n'stormy out your nose:

And how's that workin' out for ye, Patty ol' boy?

Something is happening and you don't know what it is, do you Mister Jones?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 111/0
    Given: 31/0
    You have got to be kidding!

Praying 'away' a friggin' hurricane?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
    You have got to be kidding! Praying 'away' a friggin' hurricane?
    Works for him... maybe he can pray away some earthquakes, stray asteroids, ebola, whatever. Hey when I pray, I try not to tax the system, y'know what I mean? Keep it within reason for pete's sakes. Start demanding too much, you get nothing.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Good old Pat. He used to always point out to us that the earthquake in California or the hurricane in New Orleans was god's way of telling us he was displeased we allowed gays in the military. I swear to, well, god.

One time he commented on a hurricane heading towards New Orleans as a message to us from god that our homosexuals were about to receive the wrath. Unfortunately, the storm took a turn and ran right over Pat in FLorida. Explain that, brother man.

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Well.....he managed to get it to stop moving........didn't pray hard enough.....

Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 59/0
    Given: 37/0

When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by DrGonz78 View Post
    How come those people in the backround are walking normally...while the reporter is fighting the wind to keep standing???

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 46/1
    Given: 8/0
    One of the news reports on CBC noted that there are something like 9 millions hogs in South Carolina, and a large hog-farming industry in that segment of the state hardest hit. The concern is that all that water will take all that hog-waste and render regional drinking water unsafe (not to mention the bacterial growth as water-logged homes start to grow mold). Apparently there have been frantic efforts to take all that hog waste and spread it out over crops, but it's unclear whether that could have been as fullsome a "redistribution" plan as needed. One also has to consider the effect of the flooding with respect to the survival of those animals, and what happens to the corpses of dead floating pigs.

We tend to think of flooding in terms of people in canoes paddling down the main street, or folks getting rescued off roofs by helicopter. We tend not to think of the manner in which excessive water takes materials that need to be kept confined to designated areas, and spreads them out in ways that pose risk and harm.

Stay safe and dry folks. And don't move back home until it is truly safe to do so.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 246/20
    Given: 25/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    One of the news reports on CBC noted that there are something like 9 millions hogs in South Carolina, and a large hog-farming industry in that segment of the state hardest hit. The concern is that all that water will take all that hog-waste and render regional drinking water unsafe (not to mention the bacterial growth as water-logged homes start to grow mold). Apparently there have been frantic efforts to take all that hog waste and spread it out over crops, but it's unclear whether that could have been as fullsome a "redistribution" plan as needed. One also has to consider the effect of the flooding with respect to the survival of those animals, and what happens to the corpses of dead floating pigs.

We tend to think of flooding in terms of people in canoes paddling down the main street, or folks getting rescued off roofs by helicopter. We tend not to think of the manner in which excessive water takes materials that need to be kept confined to designated areas, and spreads them out in ways that pose risk and harm.

Stay safe and dry folks. And don't move back home until it is truly safe to do so.
    Cholera comes to mind.

nosaj

Binkie McFartnuggets‏:If we really wanted to know the meaning of life we would have fed Stephen Hawking shrooms a long time ago.

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 140/1
    Given: 278/7
    bsco,

He's actually leaning WITH the wind. Look at the grass. He's not fighting with it, he's going with it.

Why? Chalk it up to our wonderful sensationalist media over here...

Justin

"... If an older Boogie and classic Marshall had a (clearly illegitimate) child and you baked it in an oven set to clown shit crazy." - Chuck H. -
    "When receiving a shock I emit a strange loud high pitched girlish squeak." - Alex R -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Thumbs Up/Down
    We tend not to think of the manner in which excessive water takes materials that need to be kept confined to designated areas, and spreads them out in ways that pose risk and harm.
    Katrina sure demonstrated the sewage soup effect. And Houston as recently as last year.

"fulsome" = rank and foul. I love it when someone says or writes about how somebody lavished "fulsome praise" on some star or politician . . . so many people don't know its meaning but that makes for comedy don't it. Considering the use in your sentence, it sort of doubles back on itself so makes sense in a double inverted kind of way, a redistribution of pig poop by schmearing it all over the place with farm equipment before nature has its way and does the same via flood, perfect!

More fulsome: In recent years the meaning has been altered through misuse - ain't that a larf - because well meaning people have so often paired it with "praise." From my ancient "American College Dictionary" 1965: 1) offensive to good taste; gross. 2) disgusting. From today's online "Free Dictionary" 1. Excessively flattering or insincerely earnest. See Synonyms at unctuous.
    2. Disgusting or offensive: "With the stink of decaying corpses so near her cave ... suddenly she felt overpowered by the fulsome reek"
    3. (Usage Problem) Copious or abundant.

OK enough about this, it's getting fulsome, I need some fresh air. And a ham sammich. And those floating pigs, let the sharks have 'em. They want a ham sammich too, this will have to do. Floods, ecch!

Thumbs Up/Down
    The cajun navy knows what to do with those pigs. That's alligator bait for them.

I can see the price of ham products going up soon.

nosaj

Binkie McFartnuggets‏:If we really wanted to know the meaning of life we would have fed Stephen Hawking shrooms a long time ago.

Thumbs Up/Down
    I have enjoyed the fact that pork has been very cheap of late. I buy pork chops consistently at 99 cents a pound Roasts the same. Fancier cuts might be $3.99 but they have a buy one get one sale on those. Bacon is still $4. I imagine it will all go up.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 353/1
    Given: 692/0
    We tend not to think of the manner in which excessive water takes materials that need to be kept confined to designated areas,
    Cemeteries?

The voices in my head are idiots!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by g1 View Post
    Cemeteries?
    That's why in New Orleans they don't put them in the ground. When the water saturates the ground they'd just pop out of the ground.

nosaj

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 46/1
    Given: 8/0
    I think the gist was that, if it could be used as fertilizer, and applied that way, best to do so before it turned into widespread diarrhea. The understanding was that it would put a small dent in the anticipated problem, but realistically not more than that. I imagine there'll be plenty of rural towns where folks come back to check out the house, take a whiff as they come out of the car, say "Hmm, maybe not yet", get back in the car and drive away You have to wonder what sort of insurance coverage there is for those farmers.

Based on the news pics, once everything de-floods, there's plenty of work for arborists and roofers. There's much better ways for work to pick up for those folks, though.

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    I have enjoyed the fact that pork has been very cheap of late. I buy pork chops consistently at 99 cents a pound Roasts the same. Fancier cuts might be $3.99 but they have a buy one get one sale on those. Bacon is still $4. I imagine it will all go up.
    Bacon?? It is usually $6.99 and sometimes $7.99 for a pk here....you rarely see it for $4....if you do it is probably out of date......

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by nosaj View Post
    That's why in New Orleans they don't put them in the ground. When the water saturates the ground they'd just pop out of the ground.

nosaj
    I did not know that......

Thumbs Up/Down
    Pork Chops 89 cents this week. Milk has gone up to $2.

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Pork Chops 89 cents this week. Milk has gone up to $2.
    You must mean 89 cents a lb......You will never get that price here....and 1% afresh milk in the supermarkets run around 4.99 for a two liter.......some gas stations sell it for 3.49 a 2 litre....

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 202/21
    Given: 203/9
    Pork chops here are $2.69-$3.98 a lb.
    Tenderloin fillet beef Steak we cook on Fridays, is usuall $14.95 a lb., at Sams club.
    Whole milk is $3.69 a gallon.
    The rest at Wal-mart Marketplace, it's about the cheapest place around, other than Sam's Club!
    Ethanol is around $2.50 a gallon, last time I bought.
    Hot Springs, Arkansas.
    T

“When you find yourself in a hole, quit digging.” WILL ROGERS

Keep Rockin! B_T
    Terry

Thumbs Up/Down
    89 cents a pound, yes, I never saw pork chops sold by the piece.

Pork chops go on sale cheap in "assorted" chops. A typical package of 6-8 of them has a couple nice loin chops, and a couple that would be called pork steaks individually, and a couple more in between. Package weighs typically 4-6 pounds.

A gallon is short of four liters, yes? Actual price this week is $2.09.

Went to Dollar Tree today. Wife got frozen asparagus for a buck. Same pack at grocer is $4. Dollar also had frozen loin pork chops for a dollar. 5 ounce. Dollar store sells frozen White Castles.

I have some ground round in the cooler, and a tub of sour cream I don't know what to do with. SO I was thinking of making stroganoff. We got back from the store and the wife had bought beef, noodles and more sour cream, and wants me to make...stroganoff for dinner.

Maybe that is why we have stayed together for 32 years.

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by big_teee View Post
    Pork chops here are $2.69-$3.98 a lb.
    Tenderloin fillet beef Steak we cook on Fridays, is usuall $14.95 a lb., at Sams club.
    Whole milk is $3.69 a gallon.
    The rest at Wal-mart Marketplace, it's about the cheapest place around, other than Sam's Club!
    Ethanol is around $2.50 a gallon, last time I bought.
    Hot Springs, Arkansas.
    T
    Actually, the Walmart store here has just finished converting over to a super store....and the prices are lower that the supermarket stores in the area.....much lower an alot of items.....not only food.....by the way, gas here is $1.34/9 a litre....yes...they price it down to 1/10 of a cent...we have the highest gas prices in the country most of the time...

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by bsco View Post
    gas here is $1.34/9 a litre....yes...they price it down to 1/10 of a cent.
    That last 9/10 of a penny is standard practice my entire life. Never not seen the extra .009 added, from the mid 50's 'til now. Old timers will tell you back when, gas was 5 gallons for a dollar, or 6, or 7, or 8 the further back you go in the mid 20th century but that was all before my time.

Over the course of time that 9/10 of a penny must have added up to gazillions of dollars. Wonder who benefits? Selling gas is a low profit-margin biz. I remember in the 60's gas price wars. Typical prices in this area were 28.9 cents a gallon, rarely less. The premium brand, Amoco, sold for two or three cents more. But if one gas station dropped their price by a penny, the others nearby would all follow suit within the hour.

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    The times they are a changin.....

Thumbs Up/Down
    The 9/10 is not there to sneak extra money on, it is there to lower the perceived price. $2.99 looks lower than $3.00 because it has the 2 instead of the 3. Yes, even when gas is $2.99, it is really $2.99-9/10.

I remember as a kid, gas being tons cheaper, the final fraction was not always 9. I can recall gas at 24.4 cents.

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    The 9/10 is not there to sneak extra money on, it is there to lower the perceived price. $2.99 looks lower than $3.00 because it has the 2 instead of the 3. Yes, even when gas is $2.99, it is really $2.99-9/10.

I remember as a kid, gas being tons cheaper, the final fraction was not always 9. I can recall gas at 24.4 cents.
    It is like that here...one day it is 1.34/4 another day it could be $1.26/7 etc....our gas price can change 2,3 times a week.......

Thumbs Up/Down
    We have the Speedway chain - a division of Marathon - which is pretty typical. They adjust prices twice a day. Gas is a commodity item, and prices fluxuate. The adjustment may not change the price on any one, but can. SO gas might be $2.79 at 6AM, 2.89 at 10AM, and 2.99 at 10PM. Or it might sit at $2.89 all week.

Thread Information