Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The only better feeling than repairing an amp is....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to tell customers "I don't do mods unless you bring me the exact instructions for what you want." Meaning I am not going to fiddle around trying to make your midrange less grainy or whatever. Bring me something specific and I will do it.

I was adamant I don't do TVs or VCRs. I did however do ADATs, basically VCRs, and I did repair video monitors for the arcade industry - basically TV sets.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Well recently I was tasked to troubleshoot a non working Fenzian unit. A Fenzian unit is much like a TENS unit which applies small amounts of electrical current stimulation on the body. I was working on this for a chiropractor and you have to be licensed to even buy the thing. This Chiropractor was the go to Dr for many famous athletes including Michael Jordan. So there is really nothing to understand about the unit (no schematic nothing) and it was my first time handling a 7 layer circuit board. The complaint was that unit fell to the floor and as a result stopped working. They sent it out to some shop in China or something to have it fixed, to no avail. I got the unit and figured out rather quickly that it was a dirty switching jack, much like many amp repairs. So now when I go to see the good Dr. I get unlimited Fenzian therapy for free.

In regards to the question of the only thing better than repairing an amp is... I love when someone appreciates the hard work and dedication put into a repair or restoration project. Usually this is by way of the customer giving me a tip when paying for services. That always makes ya feel pretty good, even if it's just $20 or something.
      When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
        A Fenzian unit is much like a TENS unit which applies small amounts of electrical current stimulation on the body. ...that unit fell to the floor...
        Had a good laugh this morning imagining how that could have happened
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thought I would add my 2c...Don't forget all those units out there that have the multi layer boards, and trying to desolder a multi pin amp module. I tell the customer I will try, but tell them it's 50/50 success failure. And then there are the tiny surface mount multi pin devices like the quad op amps. Also hell to replace. I tell the customer the same story. I have gotten better at replacing surface mount devices, but still, not easy! As much as I would like to think I can fix anything...not so! I have gotten to the point with these modern designs where if it's not something simple, probably not repairable. Oh, and let's not forget all those modern companies out there that refuse to supply schematics, forcing me to grope in the dark, and compounding the difficulty in repairing these awful units. That's one thing I can certainly compliment companies like Fender who cheerfully supply me with any schematic I ask for. I have thanked them and complimented them often for this attitude. Way to go Fender!

Comment

rats left the variac on 20vac overnight.

Comment

Won't hurt it. I bet your outlets were on 120v all night too.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
              X