How do you remove rat fur?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you remove rat fur?

I'm considering buying a speaker cabinet that has ratty rat fur. (I think rat fur is officially called ozite?!) It looks like the previous owner originally tried to pull the fur off but did not get all of it.

Anyone have experience in removing the black carpeting? Thanks!

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/m...701499283.html

paint scraper thingy? just guessing. Chuck would know what it's called since he's a painter

Wonder if you could hit it with a blow dryer too to loosen the adhesive?

Comment

I had a Dual Showman Reverb head in similar condition. Somebody had re covered it with fuzzy wuzzy, and it was falling off in random strips, nothing touched the moldy looking fur stuck to the wood. Solvents, razor blades, scrapers, heat gun. One day I was about to start another project for which I needed my belt sander. There was an old belt on it so I figured, what the hell. If I ruin this shagged-out old belt, no big loss, so I gave it a turn on the Showman cab. In 5 minutes I had all that old crap off it, then gave it a fine sanding with a "Mouse" sander, followed by MinWax maple stain and a couple coats of urethane varnish. Looked like a million bucks! Well, a whole lot better anyway.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
        paint scraper thingy? just guessing. Chuck would know what it's called since he's a painter.
        It's a paint scraper thingy.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Hmm, I thought you meant actual rat fur.
          You'd be surprised what I find in some old amps that look like they've been in a barn for the last 40 years.

So a paint scraper, maybe a couple razor blade knives and alcohol and cleaning solvents to loosen up the glue.

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
            Hmm, I thought you meant actual rat fur.
            At first blink, so did I. Very relieved when I got to "ozite." Very amused too, that someone calls it rat fur. Especially the grey variety.
            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
            X