Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trust the component value or the schematic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trust the component value or the schematic?

I am replacing a leaky electrolytic cap in a Hartke amp. The component says 47uf 50v. The schematic says 220uf 10v. Which do I trust? BTW the component is in the signal chain not in the power supply section.

Cathode bypass cap? There are those who will tell you the 47uf is boosting well below sub sonic frequencies already, so no need to go bigger. Go with what is in there. But what did early Marshall use a 160uf? 180uf? 220uf?

Comment

Originally posted by Axtman View Post
      I am replacing a leaky electrolytic cap in a Hartke amp. The component says 47uf 50v. The schematic says 220uf 10v. Which do I trust? BTW the component is in the signal chain not in the power supply section.
      The correct schematic is pretty reliable way more often than it isn’t. But, there are certainly cases that there are several different versions of the same amp and you may have a schematic for a different iteration. That can be a cause of frustration. Also, like anything else, you’re bound to run into a mistake, or typo from time to time.
      Can you post the schematic, and reference the cap in question?
      If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Can't say unless we see the schematic. Please at least give us the model number so we can look it up ourselves.
        Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Ooooooops! I was looking at the wrong schematic. (Blushing)

I was looking at the schematic for the Hartke HA3500 when I should have been looking at the schematic for the Hartke 3500 Mosfet. In my defense the two models are very similiar.

Comment

Working...
          X