B&k 2831 meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B&k 2831 meter

Picked up a B&K 2831 bench meter. Non auto, push buttons for each range. Resistance only seems to work on the 10 ohm range. Other ranges read infinity, then when test leads shorted read 0, but when you try to read a resistor, it shows short again. Socketed and swapped out ic5,6,7. No change. Changed 3 electrolytics. Tantalums all spot on. Cleaned switches. Now thinking bad fet?2831_compo.pdf

This'll be of little help, because it was many moons ago and I don't remember which one. I repaired one of those some time ago with the same problem and it was a burnt resistor in a voltage divider circuit. I know, not much to go on, but maybe it gives you something to look for. Sorry I can't be more specific and there's also the possibility that your failure is something completely different.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Spent a little time again today after dinner looking. I pulled 1 fet and it tests bad. It's a p channel and only ones i have are used misc pulls. The pinout is different, short leads and i already lifted one trace unsoldering. Going to order some common generic fet's from Mouser. Will take a look for any burnt resistors.

Parts list just says "p channel fet", part number doesn't cross to anything. Their part number is a house number.

Comment

Got it working, the p channel fet was bad and the n channel fet that they use as a clamping diode was reading funky. Working good, calibration is basic. Now i have a dedicated LED meter for plate and screen voltages.

Comment

Working...
        X