Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of a plug is this? Jones? Cinch? Something else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of a plug is this? Jones? Cinch? Something else?

Looking to convert an existing foot pedal set into MIDI bass controller. Pedals have this connector at the end. Would rather not hack the cable. Looking to find a compatible socket. I think it looks similar to Jones (or Cinch-Jones) plugs but I can't find any of this pin makeup. Seems like when they get above 12 blades they change the orientation of some of them.

Note: I only have pictures of this at this time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pedalconnector.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	873995

Name:	pedals.jpg
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	873996

TIA,
    Greg

What brand/model pedal is it?
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I have no idea, don't think the customer does either. He is a bit of a gear packrat. Can't find any pictures of matching pedal sets on the internet either. Closest I have found is Farfisa, so I would guess them or some other combo organ. Could even be something like a Cordovox.

Comment

That is a Jones type connector, but doesn't look like a Cinch to me.

The unit could even be Italian, like Farfisa. Looks a lot like the cable from accordion to generator unit in the Iorio Accorgans I used to service.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post
          I have no idea, don't think the customer does either. He is a bit of a gear packrat. Can't find any pictures of matching pedal sets on the internet either. Closest I have found is Farfisa, so I would guess them or some other combo organ. Could even be something like a Cordovox.
          Try these links and see if you can dig up some info. If not, maybe contact the site owner and see if he has any leads.
          http://www.thisoldsynth.com/Portfolio.html
          http://www.thisoldsynth.com/Links.html
          If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Well, I guess the good thing if it is really hard to find and obsolete is that it probably doesn't matter if I just take the plug off and hardwire it to the interface box I'm going to make, or use some other connector that is convenient.

Comment

Maybe something like this will work?

https://www.ebay.com/p/NOS-Vintage-J...b5921cffea63d8

Edit: never mind I thought you were saying it had 12 pins. Then I realized you were saying hard to find when it was more than 12, sorry.
              When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

You could always replace it with a real Jones plug, those are readily available, though 15 pins might not be so common.

I might consider a Molex or an AMP circular plastic connector.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I've seen this family of connector on old Neve consoles. European connector, though at the moment, the mfgr escapes my aging memory. Let me find a hammer and whack my head a little.

Siemens came to mind. With a little search, Telegartner DIN 41622 Type rectangular dual row connectors began showing up. I haven't yet found the 2 x 7 pin like yours, but that seems to be the family.
                  Last edited by nevetslab; 09-25-2018, 08:26 PM.
                  Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
                    I've seen this family of connector on old Neve consoles. European connector, though at the moment, the mfgr escapes my aging memory. Let me find a hammer and whack my head a little.
                    Spare your noggin - does Tuchel ring a bell? 30 pin connectors the standard item, though there are probably others.

ebay shows one here, by coincidence it's in beautiful downtown Burbank, California:

https://www.ebay.com/i/323140332556?chn=ps
                    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Yup....forgot about Tuchel, but it too is amongst the hard-to-find mating connectors. I can't quite tell from the photo if that is only a dual row or a 3-row connector. I now see more than 14 pins, and looks like it may be 3-rows. You might look in ebay-Europe for a mate, if you don't find any from Telegartner or Binder. Or Tuchel...not sure, but they may have been absorbed by AMP.

Comment

Just something I've been wondering about: Isn't there room in the pedal housing for the conversion box? I'd investigate building it into the pedal itself. You could then do away with the cable and connector and just put MIDI jack(s) on the pedal itself.
                        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Looked to me like a 16 pin with one corner pin missing, so 15 pins in a 16-pin format. It still looks to me like the exact connector Iorio used.

Just on a whim, contact this guy, show him your connector, and tell him someone thought it looked like the plug on an Iorio Accorgan. And would he have the mating female available.

http://www.accordionservice.com/

How could a guy looks like that not be helpful?

Comment

I was wrong (it happens a lot), customer actually does know what the pedal came from. It is from an Elka OMB 5. He actually has an Elka OMB 5. Which makes me wonder why the hell he is wanting to make a MIDI interface for this considering the OMB 5 has MIDI. It could be that the OMB is not a great keyboard and he doesn't want to lug that just to get it to spit out MIDI bass notes. I hate trying to do business via text message.

Enzo was right, as an Elkavox 83 seems to be the same as the Iorio series H Accorgan.

Name:	Elka_conn.jpg
Size:	317.3 KB
ID:	851647Click image for larger version

Name:	Elka_keyboard.jpg
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	851648

Comment

Just in case the chap at www.accordionservice.com doesn't have the mating connector, I found a mate here:

https://in.rsdelivers.com/product/te...nector/1006251

Not sure what monetary form Rs is though.

Comment

Working...
                              X