seires / parallel wattage question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seires / parallel wattage question

Two 8 ohm 100 watt dummy loads. I think when in parallel it makes 4 ohm 200 watt, but about in 16 ohm series mode?
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

The power rating of a resistor is independent of how it's connected. Yes, either parallel or series, you get 200W worth of heat dissipation abiliity.
    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

WHAT!
      I thought when two resistors are paralleled their power handling does not go up.

I trust RG more than me but.....

Comment

I think it's caps whose voltage handling doesn't go up when put in parallel. Other than that, IDK... But I'd rather be sure.

Justin
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
          WHAT!
          I thought when two resistors are paralleled their power handling does not go up.

I trust RG more than me but.....
          It's one of those very rare bonus deals nature allows.
          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
            It's one of those very rare bonus deals nature allows.
            You mean Ohm's Law?
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
              You mean Ohm's Law?
              Well, that's a bit different, Ohm's bonus is that the equation is simple. Yaay! Same for power law. Sometimes figuring out what factors in to each variable isn't so simple but I'll appreciate these blessings as I find 'em.

Comment

I cannot upload a picture for some reason so please view here instead -- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YK1...ew?usp=sharing

This is wrong?

I thought in series arrangement each resistors dissipates half the total load but in the parallel arrangement each resistor dissipates the total load, albeit since there are two resistors rather than one, technically they would have more power handling becasue it's bigger physical size vs just one 4 ohm resistor, but I thought technically the watts rating only goes up in series.

I must be totally wrong if RG said that

Comment

I cannot upload a picture for some reason so please view here instead -- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YK1...ew?usp=sharing

This is wrong?

I thought in series arrangement each resistors dissipates half the total load but in the parallel arrangement each resistor dissipates the total load, albeit since there are two resistors rather than one, technically they would have more power handling becasue it's bigger physical size vs just one 4 ohm resistor, but I thought technically the watts rating only goes up in series.

I must be totally wrong if RG said that
                  I see Mike Sulzer & Helmholtz watching - please give us your thoughts gentlemen!
                  Last edited by Leo_Gnardo; 09-27-2018, 11:10 PM.

Comment

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking. Maybe this will help? In parallel, current is split between the two resistors. In series, voltage is split between the two. Plug those values into your calculation and see what happens. If you don't want to do the math, here ya go.

http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms-law-calculator

Edit: Maybe a simpler thought. If you have a 100 watt amp, you don't need two 100w speakers in parallel. You only need two 50w speakers in parallel.
                    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I thought in series arrangement each resistors dissipates half the total load but in the parallel arrangement each resistor dissipates the total load
                      I'm not 100% sure of the question either but a 100W resistor is always capable of dissipating 100W either in series or parallel. Power is current x voltage. In series the resistors have the same current but half the voltage. In parallel they have the same voltage but half the current. Either way the product of the voltage x current is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                        In parallel, current is split between the two resistors. In series, voltage is split between the two..
                        This makes it all make sense. thanks! I never understood how that marshall 4x12 was 300W with 4 75W speakers. I could not understand it well beause I was thinking of voltage only and not current on my diagram

Comment

A resistor - or speaker - has no idea what else it is connected to, so a 100 watt one will dissipate 100 watts, regardless if its friends are parallel or seriesed with it.

Yes, never forget power is current TIMES voltage.
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

One wrench in the works is if the resistances are different values. Then you can't just add the wattages, you have to do more calculations. (ex. 4 ohm 100W in series with 8 ohm 100W does not give 200W power handling)
                            Originally posted by Enzo
                            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Yes, the equal value series and parallel examples will be neat and simple, but the answers are still all generated by simple Ohm's Law.

In fact most any tech test given to potential electronics techs usually has a bunch of resistors in a knotted up series parallel arrangement and you have to figure out the total. I know my exam has a couple of those. Like: this array of resistors has 10v across it, so what voltage is across Rx? Like that.
                              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                              X